Re: Acceleration A must READ!! Off subject, but intreseting

That is true, for those who have never been, please go and watch them tear them down, put them back together and fire them up again, before the race, just brings tears to your eyes, lol.(For those who have been there, done this, they know what I mean).

DJ
From: Dennis C. <dennis.2914@xxxxxxxxx>
To: The 1962 to 1965 Mopar Mail List Clubhouse <1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, April 3, 2012 12:31 AM
Subject: Re: Acceleration A must READ!! Off subject, but intreseting

I have no idea how wrote this, it has been around many years but I
have always liked it, the last paragraph says it all:

Once the Hemi had established its dominance in drag racing,
engineering visionaries that included Keith Black designed and
produced reinforced aluminum blocks and free-breathing aluminum heads
for the Hemi which were better suited to blown and injected nitro
racing.

To this day the engines used in virtually all Top Fuel cars and Funny
Cars, back to the Keith Black engines, and the JP1 engines that were
made by the late Joe Paisano, are all based on the Chrysler 426 Hemi.

It's unfortunate that there are some of you that have yet to
experience the sound of a Hemi on nitro. I'll extend myself just a tad
by summing it up this way:

"Now I've been to church and I've been to the drags, and brothers and
sisters, for those of you who have never heard a Hemi on nitro, get
thee to the drag strip when the Fuel cars are running. Get thee a pit
pass, and bring thyself to a Fuel car being tuned up. Listen to the
overwhelming sound of what must be the closest thing you can hear in
this life to The Sound Of God. Reach out, brothers and sisters, and
bask in the glory of the almighty Hemi. For I have heard the Hemi
testify. And I believe! Yayass, I believe."

On Apr 2, 5:51 am, D J <djohn14...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I would just like to state, that to the best of my knowledge, they all run hemis. And the last part is simple amazing. Hope you enjoy and don't flame me to much.
>
> DJ
>
> Gentlemen,
>
> It’s not flying as we know it but 747’s do get a mention!
>
> Guys, this is a good read and please pass it on to our buddies that like speed....
>  Read this thru slowly and try to comprehend the amount of force produced in just under 4 seconds!
>  There are no rockets or airplanes built by any government in the world that can accelerate from a standing start as fast as a Top Fuel Dragster or Funny Car!
>  DEFINITION OF ACCELERATION
>

> One top fuel dragster 500 cubic inch Hemi engine makes more horsepower than the first 4 rows of stock cars at the Daytona 500.
>
> It takes just 15/100ths of a second for all 6,000+ horsepower of an NHRA Top Fuel dragster engine to reach the rear wheels.
>
> Under full throttle, a dragster engine consumes 1-1/2 gallons of nitro methane per second; a fully loaded 747 consumes jet fuel at the same rate with 25% less energy being produced.
>
> A stock Dodge Hemi V8 engine cannot produce enough power to drive the dragster's supercharger.
>
> With 3,000 CFM of air being rammed in by the supercharger on overdrive, the fuel mixture is compressed into a near-solid form before ignition.
>
> Cylinders run on the verge of hydraulic lock at full throttle.
>
> At the stoichiometric (stoichiometry: methodology and technology by which quantities of reactants and products in chemical reactions are
> determined)
> 1.7:1 air/fuel mixture of nitro methane, the flame front temperature measures 7,050 deg F.
>
> Nitro methane burns yellow... The spectacular white flame seen above the stacks at night is raw burning hydrogen, dissociated from atmospheric water vapor by the searing exhaust gases.
>
> Dual magnetos supply 44 amps to each spark plug. This is the output of an arc welder in each cylinder.
>
> Spark plug electrodes are totally consumed during a pass. After halfway, the engine is dieseling from compression, plus the glow of exhaust valves at
> 1,400 deg F. The engine can only be shut down by cutting the fuel flow.
>
> If spark momentarily fails early in the run, unburned nitro builds up in the affected cylinders and then explodes with sufficient force to blow cylinder heads off the block in pieces or split the block in half.
>
> In order to exceed 300 mph in 4. 5 seconds, dragsters must accelerate an average of over 4G's. In order to reach 200 mph (well before half-track), the launch acceleration approaches 8G's.
>
> Dragsters reach over 300 miles per hour before you have completed reading this sentence.
>
> Top fuel engines turn approximately 540 revolutions from light to light!
> Including the burnout, the engine must only survive 900 revolutions under load.
>
> The redline is actually quite high at 9,500 rpm.

> [...]

Please address private mail -- mail of interest to only one person -- directly to that person. That is, send parts/car transactions and negotiations as well as other personal messages only to the intended recipient, not to the Clubhouse public address. This practice will protect your privacy, reduce the total volume of mail and fine tune the content signal to Mopar topic.  Thanks!