Re: OT: NHRA Summer-nationals at E-Town

I've had the privledge of working the Mile High Nationals for ESPN the last 8 years.  I am with the camera man at the the starting line that you see between the cars, running around.  Ya, 8000 hp is cool sitting in the stands, but standing within 10 feet of both cars at Launch is ...well it AWESOME!!!

Christopher Glick

From: "Jim Altemose" <jaltemoose@xxxxxxxxx>
To: 1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, May 23, 2012 8:59:18 AM
Subject: Re: OT: NHRA Summer-nationals at E-Town

It's a great time.  My two boys (8 and 11) go with me and a bunch of
friends and their kids every year.  Seeing the old Mopars run is fun.
But seeing, hearing and feeling 8,000 HP up close doing 1,000 feet in
less than 4.0 seconds is a different kind of fun.  Last year we got to
walk the track on Sunday before the race with "Big Daddy" Garlits.

It's my favorite day of the year followed closely by the Jones Beach
Air Show (i.e. Blue Angels), which is this weekend.  Two weekends of
serious fun and horsepower.  I may even run into a couple of cold
beers along the way.

P.S. My 8 year old is in Cub Scouts and for his pinewood derby car
wanted to build a replica of Greg Stanfield's Pro Stock Nitrofish car.
 It came out pretty good.  Of course none of the judges had any clue;
it won the 'funkiest' award.  But it was fast ;)

- Jim
Jim Altemose, Long Island, NY
'63 Polara 500 (Max Wedge)
'63 Polara 500 (383)