Re: Looking for proceedure to adjust pushbutton trans

Re: Looking for proceedure to adjust pushbutton trans

I'm gonna tell you how to adjust that cable perfectly.

Put the shifter in neutral.
Disconnect the brown wire on the starter relay(it's the neutral switch wire).Also disconect the other end of the same wire(attached to the threaded post on the neutral switch).
now make a long"jumper" wire from a piece of wire in the 14 to 18 gauge range,and attach a male spade terminal to one end on the wire.Plug that spade terminal into the end of the brown wire that was attached to the starter relay.Hook up a "ice pick"type test light to the end of that same brown,neutral switch wire that is dangling under the car.That's the end you removed from the neutral switch.Now the jumper wire you made,attach to the positive cable on the battery.
Next,get under the car and remove the 7/16"head cap screw that's holding down the wheel adjuster on the transmission shift cable.Loosen the wheel by turning counter clockwise,until it's almost off the end of the cable.
Now with the test light pointer(ice pick type end)in one hand touch it to the threaded post on the neutral switch,while pulling,and pushing the cable in and out of the transmission case.When you're in the neutral position on the detent,the test light will light up,confirming you're in neutral.once the light is in a position where the light remains on,rotate the adjusting wheel on the shift cable clockwise until it is against the transmission case.Now you may have to fine tune your adjustment.Usually by turning the adjuster left or right by 1 or 2 holes.
If it's not fine tuned you end up with an adjustment like you described(where you have to push in on the neutral button slightly).
It all sounds complicated,but all you're doing is using your neutral switch as an indicator,confirming the neutral position.
The method the factory uses in a service manual never worked for me,so I came up with this method.Give it a try.You can't mess up unless you ground out the hot end of that wire while it's attached to the battery.After you're satisified with your adjustment,remove the jumper wire,re-install the neutral switch wire,and re-install the small cap screw in the adjuster wheel.
 I don't think this is going to help you with your slippage problem though.

Good Luck

Jimmy Peavy