Re: Re: Friday the 13th LeRoar

Rich,
Congratulations! Drag strips are fun. If your'e buying a new fuel pump I recommend Holley's newer style rotary pump. They are very quiet.
Mike LeFevre

On Jul 14, 2012, Richard Kinsley <leroar.kinsley058@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Yep I had a good entourage of Paul, Mo and Dodger. We had brats, sauerkraut and cold drinks. I raced my friend Terry in his 536hp '68 'cuda, Pink Panther and he did beat me. But we all knew that! C'mon, probably 200hp more and 400lbs lighter. BUT I did manage three good runs and two very crappy, driver error runs! I turned a 9.44@xxxxxxxx for the first run with my street tires. Terry did a 8.333@xxxxxx The second run I did a 9.313@xxxxx with my 24" tall drag radials. Terry did an 8.261@xxxxxxxxx My third run was horrible, 9.62@xxxxxxxx, with me killing the engine, pulling through the starting lights, and shifting at about 5500????? I was not worth a darn for that run and it got even worse the next run with a 10.01@xxxxxxxx :-(  My fifth and final run was 9.156@xxxxxxx !!! WooHoo that equates to about a 14.374 in the quarter.

So I figured it was a success and headed back for another run when old Friday the 13th kicked in and my Holley Blue electric fuel pump took a dump. Of course at least I died in the lane waiting to run instead of at the line. Thank goodness for small favors. And it didn't die on the freeway going home. So the car is sitting at the track and I have to be there about 10:45am and have it gone by 1pm. It is safe for the night as there is a person on site all night. I'll hope I can find a Holley Blue, or a Red, and it'll be an easy fix. I do have spare wires to the pump area IF there is a wiring problem. But I am sure it's the pump itself. It had been unusually noisy this last week. I had checked today to be sure it was not loose on the mounts causing the vibration/noise.

BTW, Terry had never run before at any track and I don't think he had even been to a track before. He can't race anymore unless he gets a helmet as he went faster than the allowed 8.4 secs without a helmet. He didn't even push it all that hard either. It's probably good for the 7sec's. I feel that my 9.15 with perhaps a bad pump starting to act up might just mean I should be able to get into the high 8's. Hmmm! Oh and my first run was with street tires and the others were with the drag radials.

More to come later. Got to get to bed so I can get it fixed in the morning.

Rich Kinsley '64 Dodge Polara LeRoar 4dr 324 poly w/goodies