Re: Sluggish 63

What about the tank filter?  Carb bolted tight to the intake?  Bad accelerator pump?  Crap in the carb?

On Wednesday, August 1, 2012 9:07:06 PM UTC-5, Doug J wrote:
Hey all,
This summer my car has been kind of hesitating from take-off, not real bad, just kinda flat for the first bit, then ran fine.  Last Friday night at our local cruise, it started hesitating quite a bit more, and not wanting to idle at stops while in gear.  Took it out on the highway to "clean it out" a bit and it acted like it was at half throttle at best.  So, tonight I changed the fuel filter, it was bad, and took it out for a ride. Ran pretty good at first, but after a while, the rough idle was back and so was the hesitation.  Increased the idle speed a bit, and the accelerator pump stroke as well.  Same.  Also, if you rev it up a bit in neutral, it  takes a minute or so for the RPMs to go down to idle speed.  Linkage is not sticking, as even holding the throttle lever closed doesn't make it slow down any faster, you just have to wait for it.  At say 1500 rpm in low, you can hammer it and it responds nicely. It will also downshift and accelerate fine when floor boarded.  Seems to just be low rpm related.
Only change I have made to it was putting on a Mopar electronic ignition system.  Starts wonderfully with it btw.  It is not a kit, but all parts I found in my "stash".  Distributor and control box are very low mileage though, I'd say 1000 miles or so, although they are probably 20 years old.  Also, I haven't done any "tuning" to the igition yet, due to the rough running which I have been thinking was all carb probs, so it's only at 5 degree advanced at this point.
Here's the particulars
68 383 HP, stock except for "Purple Shaft" cam
Edelbrock 800 AVS  (5 or 6 years old)
Dual exhaust off manifolds
Mopar electronic ignition with orange box
Automatic with stock convertor
Fresh premium gas

Any thoughts?  Always put stabil in the gas for storage, but carb might be getting gunky inside?  Could ignition timing be part of it?

--
Doug,
'63 Sport Fury 'vert