Re: firing order and spark plug wires

OK,

I might be missing something but is this a poly or big block?

As said if the distributor is in the front it is counter clockwise,
clockwise in the back.

Just take the cap off of the distributor and rotate the engine until
about top dead center on the balancer.

Look at the rotor, if it is pointing towards the right front fender
put the cap back on taking note of which tower the rotor is pointing
at and this should be #1, wire the distributor.

If the rotor is pointing in the general direction o the driver's seat
you are 180 degrees off, the distributor rotates 1/2 the speed of the
engine.  You can look at the drawing and wire the distributor knowing
that it is pointing to #6 or rotate the engine one full revolution
back to top dead center (TDC) and look at where the rotor is, it
should be #1 and wire the distributor.

There is always the chance that someone wired it 180 out but not
likely.

Try starting the car, you are probably done.  If it does not run now
is the time to go back to checking for TDC by pulling a spark plug as
noted.  I would not pull a valve cover, that is a good way but it will
get you into probably replacing a gasket.

You will be fine, just go for it.

Dennis C.