Re: vapor lock

You are getting a lot of very interesting solutions to the problem.

A heat shield on the fuel pump and insulating the fuel line may solve
the problem.

A carb spacer is a really good idea but not really part of the vapor
lock if it is true vapor lock. As Rich has shown it drastically
reduces the temperature of the carb that will slow down the fuel
boiling out of the carb when you  shut off the engine.

 A crack in the fuel hose at the fuel tank was also a very good
suggestion, any place where air can get into the fuel line before the
fuel pump will cause problems.

Actual vapor lock occurs at or before the fuel pump.  The fuel pump is
having to suck on the entire fuel line all the way to the bottom of
the fuel tank.  If at any place along the way the fuel is warm enough
to vaporize, even a very small amount a vapor and a vapor lock
occurs.  Today's fuels seem to vaporize at lower temperatures.

All modern cars today  that I know of have the fuel pump in the fuel
tank.  I am sure there are many good reasons for this however vapor
lock  as we know it does not occur in the newer cars.  I am not just
referring to fuel injected cars, the fuel pump was moved to the fuel
tank before fuel injection.  The one I know of personally  was my old
1977 Toyota truck.

You might find a solution to vapor lock without going to an electric
fuel pump but even if you think you have solved the problem it can pop
back up when you  least want it to.  As you know the temperature under
the hood can be extreme.  If you want to solve the problem - go
electric.  Mount as close to the tank as low as possible and wire in
an oil pressure safety switch.

ALL electric fuel pumps I know of make noise however in my 64 poly
with stock single exhaust I do not notice it when driving.  My 63 with
a 383  has a much larger pump that really makes noise but my  good
sounding exhaust eliminates the fuel pump noise.

There is one side benefit to an electric pump, if the car sits for any
length of time you can use it to fill the carb(s) before starting with
a push button switch.  The modern fuels seem to evaporate very fast.
There is one other fun benefit, when people here the fuel pump as I
start the engine it gets their attention.

Take Care
Dennis C