Norwalk Mo-Power Event DAy 2

Day two is over for me but I'm sure they are still racing. Today I got three
runs - two time trials and one run in the gambler race (all cars kick in $20 and
the winner and late round cars get part of the pot)

The three runs I got were 12.353, 12.349 and 12.367.  I worked on my shock
settings (9 way adjustable shock) and shift RPM through the day. The shocks were
set too soft on the first run, being at a setting of 1 (my bad) so I cranked
them to a 7 per Michael Beard's suggestion.  Reduced my 60 foot by .02 seconds
on that alone. On the shift, it was very obvious to me that the car did not want
to pull well from 5600 to 5800 so I changed the shift point to 5600 on my
elimination run and picked up about 0.08 seconds as a direct result of that
change.  Learned that a poor burnout (in 3rd rather than second then 3rd) will
hurt the launch by about .04 seconds and that's was lead to the loss in
elimination in spite of the gain by reducing the shift points.

Had a thrash on the carb when I stripped one of the treads in the carb body for
the bolt that holds the float bowls to the carb body. Ended up spending $50 on a
heli-coil kit and necessary tools. Plus, in drilling out the hole for the
heli-coil, I ended up windowing the hole to the outside of the throttle body. JB
weld to the rescue with a stick of epoxy that cured in one hour.  Just made the
call for my first time trail.  Lessons learned - put a drop of oil on the bolt
before you put that steel into an aluminum body and carry a heli-coil kit - you
will screw this up like I did if you work on a Holley type carb long enough.

Now I'm pondering if the carb is too big as others have suggested and if the
3800 stall converter may be too much for my car given that the engine will drop
below the stall speed after the shift.  Need to produce power at higher RPM to
not do this. Something in the 6200-6400 range.

Tomorrow the real eliminations start. I'm running Sportsman class which has 350
or so cars in it - takes nine rounds to win it. While the car has been
incredible consistent today, the inexperienced drive (Me) makes that a tough
challenge. But you never know as I went four rounds in the past.

Akron Don Gallimore
'65 Belvedere 440 powered