Re: flat garage floor

So it is in a barn and rented space. Existing floor is either dirt or perhaps old chunky concrete? Check to see if the owner has horse stalls in there or used to, as some folks mat stalls with 1/2" thick heavy rubber mats designed for horses. I've my comcrete barn floor matted in some areas and car work on those works great. Creepers and hoists roll fine on them. Does the owner have a tractor with a blade so you could scrape the floor level? Maybe build a frame and fill with dirt, moisten, and rent compactor then lay mats on top. Look for used mats on craigs list in the farm and garden category. If you vacate the place those mats can be pressure washed and re sold so you get money back out of them. They WILL sell, trust me!  One side has nubs for grip and the other side is smooth similiar to a door mat. Another idea is to use slag - bi-product of steel making which many counties are starting to use for roads. Do online research on this perhaps. Slag is very cheap and it gets wetted and then rolled or compacted and makes a good surface but I'm not sure about being smooth as concrete. Hope this helps, Ruth