Re: Premium vs. Regular gas

Octane rating is simply a fuel's ability to resist detonation. A fuel
with an octane rating of 87 doesn't have any less energy in it than a
fuel with a rating of 93, or even 101. But a fuel with a low octane
rating will detonate more easily (earlier) under compression.

A high-compression engine needs a fuel which resists detonation to run
properly, and allow the engine to control the combustion event timing
and shape. However, an engine with low compression isn't going to make
any more power with high-octane fuel. So, if your engine runs well on
87 octane, use that. I'll stick with 91 for my 10.5:1 383, thanks.
Plus, I don't have to concern myself with what ethanol will do to my
car, because the stations I buy fuel from leave ethanol out of the
premium stuff.

I'm not sure how leaded fuel came into the conversation later, but the
US and Canada haven't had leaded fuel available to the public for
decades.
--
~S~
'64 Chrysler 300, AKA: "Leon", 383, 727, 8 3/4