Sent: Saturday, November 17, 2012 6:41 PM
Subject: Re: '64 440 Wagon won't start-was fine yesterday after several test drives....

I've had a similar problem on my 63 SF.  In my case it was a loose connection at the starter.  Be sure to check that as well

Paul L.

On Friday, November 16, 2012 11:28:22 PM UTC-6, John Hammond wrote:
I got the '64 440 powered 330 out yesterday and did a few test runs. 727 has a nagging drip so I topped off the fluid and went for a short drive.  Nothing really out of the ordinary: although recent night drives seem to tax the electrical so bad it acts as if the ignition is going away. During this, the volt meter, (ammeter long since removed from harness), shows 12+ volts at 55mph or above. All the lights are bright and functioning correctly too.  Back to the story, wagon starts at the turn of the key repetedly five or six times, no problem. This afternoon turn the key and not so much as a whine or even a click, volt meter shows 10 volts.  So battery must be low, I thought; booster pack hooked up.  Volt meter shows 12 volts, again nothing. Finally two batteries from booster cables, same result...dead, dead, dead. Again, no matter the voltage shown on the gauge, 10, 12+, or 14+ everything works except the starter.  I don't understand what could have just quit overnight when all was well 24 hours ago. Both the starter and the alternator are new Powermaster parts, the VR is the electronic replacement, the additional charging wire suggested by Powermaster was run, the ignition is the Summit MoparPerf. type electronic conversion, all of these parts have about 1200 miles total on them. The starter relay, is original. The battery is old, and needing replacement I know-but I doubt that being the problem considering the juice poured at it today.  I don't really know where to start on this. I thought I had all the bases covered. Anybody that can help out on this would be most appreciated... thanks in advance to any and all who respond.

Always Mopar,
John Hammond