Re: hood hinge springs

Steve best way I have found is to mount hinge in vise (if already removed from car), the hinge can then be operated with a large pair of channel locks when spring is stretched (closed if I remember correctly) place spacers in the spring, anything from washers, old fan belts, or my favorite a short piece of nylon rope, after looping the rope as much as possible open hinge, and with little or no pressure it should come off.
  Once it is off you can make a tool from an old bumper jack and some scrap chain to stretch the spring back out to remove the rope and for painting this keeps the coils of the spring open for paint to dry rather than stick together, after paint is dried, reinstall about the same amount of rope, and reinstall spring on hinge, the rope should pull out and not damage the paint