====
From: Bill Watson
Sent: Sunday, November 29, 2009 10:32 PM

Chrysler went to enamel in 1939 (Plymouth switched in 1935, trucks earlier
than that and LosAngeles for 1940) and Chrysler of Canada in 1946.   So your
1964 Plymouth was done in acrylic enamel.   Some years of Imperial were done
in lacquer in the late 1950's and into the 1960's.

Touch ups and partial panel repairs were generally done in lacquer as
lacquer is softer and takes longer to harden.  Thus it can be sanded to
eliminate minor errors in painting and still polish to a shine. As it is
also slightly opaque, multiple thin layers of colour will give the final
paint job depth, something that cannot be done with enamel.  Acryclic
enamels use air to harden, so as soon as the paint leave the nozzle it is
hardening which also makes it almost impossible to sand out errors.  Factory
enamel jobs were generally one shot deals.

Today's cars are done in two layers - colour topped by a clear coat.  The
colour coat has no shine to it and relies on the clear coat to supply that.
Also, the clear coat does have a slight tint to it so the final result will
not be quite what the bare colour shows.

Single shot jobs are now done with urethane which produces a shine just as
enamel does - no top coat and no sanding or buffing needed.  However, it
does dry with a wet look, in other words a shine that is shinier than back
in 1964.

The body colour was applied to the roof, top, and sides of the body as well
as the floor, cowl, under hood lid, underhood and trunk fenders, trunk
walls, trunk floors, and trunk lid.  So, no black firewalls, cowls, etc. on
Chryler Corporation vehicles in any year.   (Well, okay, there are a couple
of exceptions around 1970).   Lighter coloured cars may have had the
radiator crossmember painted a flat black and some plants painted the trunk
floor with a spatter paint.   The Windsor plant generally did neither - cost
money for something most owenrs wouldn't notice or care about.

You would find overspray in the wheelwells and anywhere else the painter
overshot.  The factory did not worry about paint overspray on areas that the
owner could not see while standing beside the car.  The undercarriage was
not painted but did receive a grey colour coating to help prevent build up
of rust.

Two tones were done by masking off the areas that were to be done.  You
would find overspray in door jambs, hood and trunk openings,  and, if the
lower section of the body was to be done, door sills.   If it looked good
with everything closed, great.  Bit of overspray with a door open - no big
deal.  Remember, too, bodies were painted right after the bodies were welded
together and doors and lids hung.  No trim, no glass, no power train, no
grilles or lights, no electrical pieces, no instrument panel or any interior
trim.

Bill
Vancouver, BC