Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 16:39:04 -0700
From: raybell46@xxxxxxxxx
To: 1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Tranny swap??

The greatest problem in these Mopars when it comes to changing to a 5-speed is that there's precious little room between the bellhousing and the torsion bar crossmember.

The top of the gearbox often fouls the crossmember if it's in at the right angle, in some (many) cases the shift mechanism housing is right there in the way too. And cutting the crossmember is really butchering an essential part of the car.

The torque of the engines generally fitted means you really don't need a 5-speed. If you can't get what you want with a taller rear axle, a '74 A833 overdrive box (the model with a cast iron housing) with a minor modification to the layshaft pin will give you the wide spread of ratios a 5-speed will.