Sent: Friday, September 06, 2013 8:03 AM
Subject: Imperial Services - was 383 Super Commando color - warning, long read

Hi Steve (and all),
    Thanks for asking.  We managed to survive some rough times a few years back and are clawing our way back to solvency.  Having invested everything I had (including what was left of my retirement) in the business, the choices were A) save the business, or, B) sell everything off and go back to work.

    We ended up selling (read that "gave away" following the mortgage debacle) the prior "marital home" a few years after I was divorced, and relocated the shop to a 12,000 sq foot building in Mayville, MI, about 30 minutes east of Frankenmuth.  We continue to build all the same parts as before (including the Schumacher PolyLocs), and have a few new ones in development.  We ceased retail sales about a year ago - our customer service, as many of you are well aware, was nothing short of horrible.  Having downsized from 8 part timers in 2006 to essentially my girlfriend (more on her shortly) and myself, I can either talk on the phone all day or make parts.  As much as I love talking about old Mopars, I need to build parts.

    Imperial Services parts are available from the following dealers, and from others by special order.  I'll list these in order of stock levels - the higher on the list, the more likely they have the part you need on the shelf.

    Atlas Obsolete Motor Parts
    Schumacher Creative Services
    Joe Suchy
    Murray Park
    Kramer Automotive
    Mega Parts
    Brewers Performance
    A&A Transmission
     Laysons
    Roseville Chrysler

    It's early and I hope I didn't forget anyone!  If in doubt, call your favorite dealer.  We also recently made a deal with Van's and are in the process of stocking them now.  They will be one of our largest stocking dealers once we fill the pipeline. They seem to be pretty good guys and definitely like the pushbutton cars!

    Beyond that, life is pretty good.  Baby (some of you have met her at the shows) and I have been together for nearly 7 years, I guess she's a keeper.  Actually, I knew that early on... about a year after she moved in I had removed the windshield from my '64 Savoy and was worried about breaking it and she says "I just washed the blue blanket, why don't you wrap it up and put it in the bedroom for now?".  Yup, a keeper.

    We're trying to work normal hours and get out and enjoy the cars some.  I traded my old black dually for a really nice '67 Coronet basket case (that we just finished) and we're having a lot of fun with that.  We sold off the Imperials and a few larger projects knowing we'd have to move, just before buying this building... the way it goes I guess.  I short-blocked the motor for the '68 Barracuda last weekend and hope to have that back together in the next few weeks.  We just picked up a '62 Police Pursuit Special Plymouth 2dr sedan, and are carefully documenting all the police specific stuff as it is disassembled. I briefly considered restoring it as it was a Michigan State Police cruiser, but learned that it couldn't be driven, so it's getting a 343hp 383 and it's going to get driven.  Hoping to have that and the '64 Plymouth hardtop well along by next spring, then finish up the others.  Getting too old to collect any more!

    Anyway, back to your question, yes, we're still here.  I will continue to do this as long as I can.  I'll be 57 shortly and am in reasonably good health, so I hope to be here for quite a while. If you know of anyone who has had problems with our parts, or who we inadvertently messed up the last few years, please have them email me at stevec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.  We're trying to make as much right as we can.  Being wear parts, we can't warranty this stuff for ever, but we try to make sure everybody gets their money's worth.  The website is still up at www.imperialservices.net more for reference than anything - we will take online ordering down when time allows.  We have decided to continue pushbutton conversions even though they are an incredible pain in the rump, but ask that customers allow ample time.  I used to do them on Sundays when nobody was here, but now I try not to work Sundays!

    ANYWAY, as stated above, we're still here and will be for a while.  Baby has learned enough about the business that she can carry on if I'm out for a while (or longer!).  None of the kids have shown an interest in the business, but there's always hope!  In order to keep the doors open and level the workload (Imperial Services stuff is seasonal, as you can imagine) we still build the SpliSeal wiring products, some Jeep stuff for a new start-up called Himounts, are expanding the Promerican shifter line, do some sign work, do general repair and fabrication for locals, and are kicking off a line of small dog products (small dogs, not the products), as Baby is also breeding Pomeranians!  Anything to keep the doors open!

    Again, thanks for asking.  It's fun seeing some of you out and about, and I appreciate your support and patience when the going got rough.  I won't say it didn't suck, but we're still here.  This group is by far the best I've found, across all the interests we have.  I am trying to keep up with the group more often and hope you'll contact me if you have any questions I can answer or if there is anything I can do to help!  The best way to contact me is at the email above; we still maintain the toll free number but only check voice mail every other day or so.

Steve Charette

P.S. Should you decide to reply to this, please either reply to me personally at stevec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or trim judiciously!