From: Raymond J. Henry <62dart@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: 1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, September 26, 2013 9:32 AM
Subject: Axle bearing?

The other night, had the Dart out for cruise night. Might have been beating on it just a bit, but nothing severe. At one point, we stopped and when I got out of the car, I could detect what smelled like hot gear oil. Trying to find out where it was coming from, I sniffed around my Dart’s rear end like a dog in heat. Finally determined that it was most likely coming from the left rear, and when I touched the hub area of the wheel, it was fairly hot. Right side had no such heat. Assumed at that point that despite the lack of noise and play (jacked it up and tried to move it laterally), that I was up against a wheel bearing preparing to pack it in.

Stayed out late, as I came across another ’63 Dart (this one running a 413 clone), and despite what I felt about the wheel bearing, decided more cruising was in order. Again, not taking it too easy, but not out to break anything. No more gear oil smell, and the hub never got hot again. Diff oil is up & looks good. No noise, no play. Wheel does and did move freely, no dragging brake smell. What’s the consensus? Is it just waiting to see if I am going to ignore it so that it can pack it in at a more inopportune time, or ???

-Ray