Re: Drag Strip Results 9/29/13

I think if you are running out of fuel on top end you will get a lean issue and have detonation which will be pretty obvious to you.

On Sun, Sep 29, 2013 at 7:07 PM, Stan Kafouse <skafouse@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Refresh my memory, isnt this engine down a lot on two cylinders?  If so there is no need at all to go any farther. Until you can seal it up, nothing will fix it and beating on it isnt going to make it any better.  Did you do a compression test and use oil in the cylinder? Squirt oil in the cylinder and then check it, the oil will seal the rings long enough to bump up the cylinder pressure. Do a dry then wet test. If it improves it is in the rings, hopefully not a bent valve or valve problem in general.  Do you have a fuel pressure gauge? Whats it read on the top end?  Pressure really isnt the answer it is volume of fuel, or lack of. A stock 20 dollar pump will have 7 pounds Wheres your pick up in the tank?
 An igintion / electrical issue will be obvious. Again if down two cylinders, quit second guessing yourself and rebuild your engine. Just my thoughts from a stock / super stock hemi and max wedge racer.  Make sure every surface is milled flat, Intake side of the head, intake itself, carb mounting surface and even surface the bottom of the carb. Everything must seal. You will pick up vacuum and throttle response. Everything includes rings and valves, good tight seal is what makes and engine "crisp". Again just my thoughts miles away from the scene of the crime.

From: Donald Gallimore <dongallimore@xxxxxxx>
To: "1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; mml-list <mml@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, September 29, 2013 5:56 PM
Subject: Drag Strip Results 9/29/13

Did another trip to the strip today. Good air so expected some good times. Well, best was a 12.44 at 109 mph which is still 3 tenths and 2 mph off my best.

Played with my shift points. Actually ran better shifting at 5300 than my usual 5600-5800 shift points. I could tell that the motor was not pulling past 5300 which is a lot less than the 6000 or so that worked before. Pretty much confirmed the dyno test two weeks ago where the engine quickly lost power past 5300. Looks to me like I need a ring job and a second look at the valve springs.

Could it be a fuel pressure problem or an electrical related ignition problem?  There are no signs of surges or misfires, etc.

As far as an evaluation of the Rev-N-Nator ECU, I don't think this was a good test. However, I am not thrilled about the 1000 rpm steps on the rev limiter. For example, for me, 6,000 is too low and 7,000 is too high.

Akron Don