Re: 62' Canadian Fury

The colour sweep was added as an option on Canadian-built Belvedere, Fury, Dart 330 and Dart 440 sedans and hardtops in February, 1962.  With the colour sweep, the heavy front fender trim on the Fury was dropped while the Dart 440 dropped the trim along rear quarter panel.  The Fury and Dart 440 also dropped the heavy chrome trim pieces on the C pillar and above the side windows.

Both Plymouth and Dodge in Canada used the Polara 500 colour sweep, unlike the U.S. Plymouth Fury that apparently used the side sweep from the Sport Fury.  US-built Dart 440 models were available with the Polara 500 colour sweep option as well.

Dealers were complaining about the lack of side trim from front to rear making the cars appear shorter than they were.  The Polara 500 and Sport Fury side sweeps from front to rear made the car look longer, something that was needed to sell the new shrunken Plymouths and Dodges.   The competition, Chevrolet and Ford, were longer and wider at a time when bigger was becoming acceptable again.

I have some illustrations of the Canadian Dart 330, Dart 440, Belvedere and Fury with the colour sweep trim.  The Fury and Belvedere also have the "V" on the front fender.  Will dig them up and pass them along.  Also have a copy of the US Dart 440 folder on the American side trim option.

At the same time Chrysler Canada offered the colour sweep option, bucket seats from the Polara 500 became an option on Canadian-built Fury and Dart 440 hardtops.  The Polara 500 and Sport Fury were not offered in Canada and the bucket seat option was offered instead.  The same option was available in 1963 and 1964, although with Sport Fury bucket seats as the Plymouth interiors were used again.

The Canadian option was called Sportsweep while Dodge called the American option Sports-Sweep.

Bill
Toronto, ON