RE: Loud Engine

Since it’s been a few years since your rebuild - I would most def check the lash as part of any tune-up.

The Poly in our ’62 Dart was awakened after sitting 21 years, ran OK at first, but an exhaust valve soon stuck wide open.  So we had the heads done hoping for the best.

From: 1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Hall, Ricky L
Sent: Monday, December 23, 2013 1:34 PM
To: 1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Loud Engine

I just had the heads done on my 318 Poly last June, and used the cold set method - which you can find on the ‘net.  Trick is to shut off the hot engine, then set one cylinder to hot spec per the manual.  Then after the engine is dead cold, measure that cylinder lash to get values for entire engine cold.  I had never set solid lifters before either, had the wife helping and we have a very quiet running engine.  Lots of blow-by because it needs the bottom end done - but runs like a top.

“Cold is Cold”  - Valve Lash Adjustment – EO / IC

When Exhaust is beginning to Open:             Set INTAKE.

When Intake is 1/2-3/4 way to Closing:                  Set EXHAUST.

Add .002 to hot spec.  (Cast iron heads and block).

For exact cold setting:  Set one cylinder hot to spec.

Let engine cool over night then measure lash for both I/E to get actual values for setting all valves cold.*

*My actual measured cold valve lash, after setting hot:

INTAKE:      .010                                  (Intake .010 hot spec).

EXHAUST:  .020                                 (Exhaust .018 hot spec).