Fw: New Poly Wind Tunnel Intake Manifold report from my foundry visit

More pics to come.

Sent: Monday, March 10, 2014 12:59 AM
Subject: Re: New Poly Wind Tunnel Intake Manifold report from my foundry visit

Randy and all “Polyheads,”

We are approx. 3-4wks. away from our first machined intake to test fit and inspect.  I was at the foundry last Wed. with my checklist and inspected the first raw/un-machined casting.  A “first pour” is done to check core box and casting alignment.  After any necessary adjustments are made to remedy thin spots or holes in the first castings then subsequent pouring is done for two to three more manifolds to be inspected for integrity & alignment before sending off to the final machining process where jigs are set up.  The jigs set up for final machining is the last step to “refine” and ready the intakes for installation on my test engine for fit and finish.
I have attached some pictures of the first rough casting with all its imperfections and extra casting material & slag that gave us the necessary info. so we can adjust the casting for a perfectly aligned pour of subsequent manifolds which are being done this week.  The next set of fresh pours will be after the core box alignment and will remedy any of the slag and casting pour “holes” in the water crossover ports...but meanwhile the final jig boxes are being created so they will be ready to final machine these newly poured manifolds.

Javier and I took copious measurements of the existing manifold height and test fit a drop base air cleaner with Holley carb (went perfect) and will need to test fit the electric choke style Edelbrock carb for proper clearances on my next visit to the foundry within a week or so.  I cannot tell the exact height of the manifold till we remove the extra 1/2” or so of casting material from the base plate and approx. 1/4” extra material off the carb pad.  Once that is done, I will have final spec measurements to know what style & amount of drop is required for the air cleaner base and our air cleaner element options (2”, 2.5”, or 3”max) before actual test fitting under the hood of one of our Mail List member’s Poly equipped Mopar(s).  Heads-up; if anyone in the Southern California area would like to volunteer their 1962-66 Mopar for the test fit and install please e-mail me off-list and I will keep you on file till the manifold is ready.
Thanks again to all who sent me your underhood height and Poly deck to hood measurements as this was very helpful and verified the data I acquired from my Poly manifold measurements  but we do need an actual install to make sure this superlative intake fits properly.  Javier designed the new Poly intake for PERFORMANCE with little to no compromise and the only constraint was to make sure it fits under the hood of our 1962-66 Mopars.  Therefore, I am sticking my nose into the project to try make sure (to the best of my ability) that we get what we paid for and from all I have seen thus far, we are in for a real treat.

All the factory hookups are/will be in place just like the factory cast iron Poly intake but with improvements and options.  I brought an aftermarket and OEM water temp sending unit with long and short probe to make sure we can accommodate both styles into the water crossover passage without bottoming out like it does in the factory Poly intake and Weiand intakes.  The new manifold water crossover port is tall and deep and the orifice is a larger diameter to allow the use of longer probes in aftermarket gauge sending unit packages as well OEM replacement sending units.

The water crossover ports are virtually the same high and sloping design as the intake runners and blend beautifully into the runner layout array so you don’t immediately recognize them as crossover ports – which is visually appealing as well as functionally brilliant on the part of Javier at Foundry Works Inc.  Because the tall crossover ports are actually separate tube/runners and do not share the front two intake runner walls, we have a much cooler fuel charge from zero radiant water heat transfer combined with the wind tunnel effect.

The one heater hose connection has been relocated from the original driver side position to the passenger side water crossover port (and slightly angled) to allow for a shorter, easier, and common sense approach to heater hose hookup while still allowing for interference free fuel line routing.

All previous water bypass hose hookup problems such as kinking and binding should be eliminated due to the higher water neck outlet base location.  The OEM bypass hose appears to fit like a glove from the water pump outlet tube and may allow for other non-molded hose applications that are less expensive and easier to obtain – I will trial fit some other hose options as we progress.

We are exploring optional water neck outlet shapes and manufacturers to make the upper radiator hose transition easier as well.  It may be possible to use the non-molded upper radiator hoses like the flex/ribbed hose and add the myriad of attractive/custom sleeves over it to enhance the “performance” or “custom” look...although beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I will try to concentrate on what fits best and is easiest to obtain.  I know these kind of attendant parts are usually left for the intake buyers to “figure out” but since myself, like all of you, am also a purchaser I want the transition to a High Performance Poly manifold to have a shorter install learning curve if possible.  What I learn I will pass along to you.

The requisite vacuum port is relegated to the driver side rear port runner for use with vacuum gauges and other probe devices needing a ported vacuum source.

All the intake runners, as promised, are matched, elevated, and purposefully formed to deliver a direct shot of air-fuel charge directly to the back of the Poly intake valves in the heads.  The runners are tapered and sculpted for improved velocity and create sufficient manifold pressure to prevent intake charge reversion/pollution and will subsequently create no CFM impedance to highly ported CNC chambered Poly heads like Gregg Hekimian Racing and Scott Glover have made available to us.  Additionally, the runners are cast thick to allow for porting and port matching to all stock and/or ported Poly heads as the exit flange openings match the stock gasket dimensions.
Because the intake runners as well as the water crossover ports arch high above the valley plate we will have a true “wind tunnel” effect that dramatically cools the intake charge for more horsepower and torque.
Thus I recommended a name change and description to Roland of our/your New intake from “airgap” to WIND TUNNEL, because that’s exactly what it is.

Under the Holley/Edelbrock carb pad is a ribbed plenum floor to enhance fuel tumbling and mixture improvements for more power.  The plenum floor opens wider with a slight bulge on either side of the dual plane divider for vastly increased plenum volume over the factory and aftermarket Poly intakes for instant fuel supply in stock and High Performance requirements.  If high RPM or Stroker Poly operation requires more plenum area, the divider can be milled down to satisfy the most stringent performance demands.  This manifold IS a performance piece but it is not designed to be a slouch on a bone-stock Poly engine either.  I repeatedly asked Javier if his manifold design will work equally well on a stock Poly and be an improvement over the factory options and his answer was “absolutely.” After seeing this first rough casting I have no reason to doubt and it can only get better with the final product in hand.
The characteristics of a dual plane manifold and appropriately sized runner & plenum volume is designed by Javier of Foundry Works to run well on a stock stroke, stock-cammed Poly passenger car or truck engine but I think that all trucks, Panel Wagons, and Power Wagons with a stock Poly will thoroughly enjoy this torque-enhancing intake; but add a High Performance Poly Camshaft and other power mods and this will be one fine ride.

You are not too late to order the new Poly intake manifold if you haven’t already done so. I can help with your order at the special “pre-order” price of $399 + applicable shipping to anyone in the U.S., CANADA, AU, NZ, UK, and all overseas locations when you are ready.
This new intake design is superior to all the old Poly intakes and will build much more HP & Torque. New Poly finned aluminum valve covers, raw/unpolished castings - with or without various “logos,” are $359 to 379 + applicable shpg. Polishing of the valve covers is optional and available for $129.  Additionally, thermal coatings and polished coatings & finishes for that “chrome-like” look is also available for manifolds and valve cover sets according to Roland.  He has set all the prices, taken all the previous orders, and is buried with his magazine responsibilities so I was asked to help out; therefore feel free to e-mail or call with your Poly manifold & valve cover questions, Poly parts and technical questions/needs and I will try to help where I am able.

Thank you,
Gary Pavlovich