Re: Calipers... to rebuild or not rebuild?

Re: Calipers... to rebuild or not rebuild?

Getting rebuilds is a better route to go and you a warranty of sorts.  My rebuilds have been I use for 7 yrs. W/o a hitch.

mopardan65 <dbendixon@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Mopar friends!

I'm finally treating the '65 Monaco to her long awaited front disc brake upgrade.

I already have my 1973 Chrysler complete front disc brake setup and began taking it apart and inspecting the condition of individual components last night. They came from a high desert car and are in overall very nice condition. Rotors are still serviceable and I'm having them turned today. Bearings all look good... re-using those. Spindles look great.The calipers were so clean that I easily removed the bleeder screws and hoses (without fire!). The exterior of them is so clean that I can see the Chrysler pentastar and read the casting numbers (Sorry, I live in Illinois and get very excited by things that aren't all crusty)! I got the pistons out and the first one could almost pass as a new one. The second one has a few little pits so no good.... GROAN!

Question 1: Is it ok to only replace the piston on one caliper or am I being cheap? (New piston at Napa is about $17.00)

The caliper cylinder bores seem pretty good, but could probably use a light honing... or at least some light scrubbing with a scotch-brite pad.

My friend, who will be helping me with the job, said if I found any signs of pitting or corrosion that I should simply use the calipers as cores for remanufactured ones (about $32 each at Napa). I'm no expert, but can't help thinking that the re-mans I buy can only be as good as the cores that were used for them, and I bet mine are better. I don't mind going to the trouble of rebuilding these, but I know I have a tendency to over-think things and make more work for myself.

Question 2: Should I just exchange the calipers for "new" ones?

Any words of wisdom or experience would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Dan

-1965 Dodge Monaco