Re: 273 V8

Gary, and all...

I'm confused by looking at the specs for that sender. Over the years, Ma MOPAR used temp GAUGES in some cars and temp LIGHTS in others. The sender for a light would be a switch which would close at a certain temp, grounding the sender lead and turning the "TEMP" light on. The sender for a gauge would be a variable resistor that would change value with a change in engine temperature, like the sender for a fuel gauge changes resistance with the level of fuel in the tank, causing the gauge to change its reading with the change in fuel in the tank. Using a switch-type temp sender in a car that has a temp gauge would cause the gauge to read low until the switch closed, then read high after that, with no reading between. I would bet that buying a temp sender at a generic auto parts store would be an crap shoot. In fact, I think I made
that mistake at least once in years gone by.

The specs for that sender look to me to be for a light, not a gauge. But, of course and as always, I might be wrong. the part of the specs that confuses me is: "Temperature Rating: Closed at 100 Deg. F 129 Ohms w/ 5% Tolerance..." That looks to me like it would cause the temp light to come on at at 100 degrees. I do not understand the purpose of that resistance in the circuit.

I hope my analysis of the switch versus variable resistor sender is clear and if anyone can explain the specs on that sender I would appreciate it.

BC