From: Jason Rhoades <Jason@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, September 2, 2014 7:12 PM
Subject: Re: Mopar Tapoered Axle Brake Coversion Link

Hmmmmm don't think so. Yes they are same size but they are different   Your going to force me to take pictures I can tell. So the tulip axels have a flange that bolts to the axel after the backing plate. The taper axels do not. They use a shim between the backing plate and the housing to se the preload. Again if you really and I mean really want to do this. It can be done but da gum brother you'd better have patients and a butt load of tools I can see how it can happen but you are going to have to machine up your own shims to get the preload correct and the bearings don't fall on the same locations on the axel shafts. About 1/4" difference so you may have to build a spacer to hold the bearing where it will have to be on the axel so you can get the shims to put the correct preload without spacing the backing plate away from the housing and this is the short list.   I'd love to be able to do it and if I was closer to moser's in Portland so they could help me I'm sure it could be done. But it would be cheaper to wack the ends off a truck rear or e body unit weld new ends on ( get them from moser's or muscle motors?) order a new set of axels and have fun.   On a side note that's what I did recently for my 62 Newport
Sorry for the length of this. I really wanted to find a sneaky way to pull it off that would be easy but with the parts laying there it just wasn't going to happen with what I had
Jason

Sent from my iPhone