RE: Carb Linkage

I am talking 318 Poly, what else is there........

From: 1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Hall, Ricky L
Sent: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 6:12 AM
To: 1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Carb Linkage

#1 can be any tower on the distributor, as long it matches were the rotor is pointing at TDC.  Then wired for clock-wise rotation 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 (same as a Chevy).  Many like to install the distributor so the rotor points to the #1 piston (driver’s side front).  Here’s how the Dart was wired when acquired in Aug 2012, #1 has a close pin on it my Grandpa had there since 1990.  Well he did work as a mechanic..........   (The wires cross under the heater hoses in this pic, don’t let that confuse you - they are on the valve cover holder in order).

Firing order diagram - handy to laminate for garage use:

http://www.justanswer.com/uploads/quickcar/2009-07-12_155601_firing_order.gif

As far as the distributor goes you need to get #1 piston to top dead center on the compression stroke (piston all the way up and both valves closed) then install the distributor so the rotor points to the #1 spark plug lead.  Been quite a few years since I had a poly so can't tell you right off which tower on the distributor cap should be used for #1.  But there are plenty of guys here that can.

Paul L.