RE: Timing on New Engine?

Common theme from all contributors and step 1) in the manual- make sure it’s at TDC - firing stroke - both valves closed.  Then proceed......  If it’s “180 out” or anything else you will see it in the rotor location right away..........

From: 1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Richard Kinsley
Sent: Thursday, November 13, 2014 8:48 AM
To: 1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Timing on New Engine?

In this picture you see the dist in place without the intake. Notice the shaftat the bottom. There is a collar I installed to help keep the shaft from bouncing. Right below that is the intermediate shaft which is not visible. It is the only means of changing the dist orientation except for 180 degs changes. The shaft must be lifted and rotated slightly to change the dist placement. If you remove the dist and look down into the valley you can see the slot the dist sits in. It should be in a straight line with the front of the block on the driverside towards #1 cyl.. If not you use a screwdriver to turn the shaft counterclockwise gently as you use a magnet to lift it slightly. Then set the shaft back down in the direction that will position the slot properly. You will be moving the gear a tooth at a time or more as needed. This must be done with the #1 cyl at TDC on the firing stroke. The final dist position will depend on how you set the shaft into position. If the dist is too far towards the rear or front to get any movement for adjustment you can pull it and move the shaft as needed to accomplish this. The shaft itself is about 6" long with a hex on the bottom to drive the oil pump and a gear on top to engage the cam with the slot on it's top for the dist shaft to set into. Pretty easy actually but be sure you have the #1 cyl on TDC. that shaft is what you remove to insert another hex shaft on a drill for pre-oiling the engine before start-up.