Re: ZDDP Off Shoot, Oil change interval

When I pull my engine I put in new oil. That was pretty often in the past. I'll have to change my style now:-) Hopefully there will be less pulling and more changing lol

On Dec 16, 2014 7:52 PM, "Warren" <vulcan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I’m reading these posts with interest, and my view is I change the oil in my ‘65 at regular intervals, (5-30, plus a ZDDP additive).                                                                                                                                                               My theory being  oil changes are cheap compared to potential engine damage. My $.02 worth..............

Sent: Tuesday, December 16, 2014 8:18 PM
Subject: Re: ZDDP Off Shoot, Oil change interval

I can tell you that a NEW car states that oil has to be changed

1. at least once per year
2. or no more than 10k miles....7k is better but 10k is OK
3. or the "change oil" light comes on.

New cars are made of different metals than our cars, closer tolerances and less blow by and other pollutants.  They can get by with longer distance between oil changes.

But even my 1962 owners manual states change the motor oil at least 1 time per year.  If you take your car out on a good run (say 30 miles at freeway speeds nice sunny day), burn a tank a fuel out of it at least once a year I bet you will be fine with annual oil changes.

Of course sitting out in the cold, and rain and snow will let more water build up in the crankcase than if it's parked in a nice dry garage somewhere.

Eric Sturgis
Tacoma, WA
1962 Chrysler Newport 2 door HT in Coral Gray
2014 Chrysler 300 3.6L in Jazz Blue
2014 Dodge Charger R/T 5.7L (ya it's a HEMI) in Header Orange