RE: Wildlife Encounters

Here’s a B-body related wildlife experience.  A number of years ago I was in Florida visiting my folks.  On almost all out-of-state trips I would make plans to visit at least one old auto graveyard to look for parts for my 65 convert.  I found a yard not too far above the Everglades.  The owner said I could look for parts out back but to keep an eye out for rattlesnakes.  I believe it was the shortest visit I ever made to a junk yard.  After a face saving half hour I got in my car and continued south.

I saw a sign for a local wildlife area so I thought I would visit it.  This was in the pre-GPS days and the wildlife area was crisscrossed with a grid pattern of dozens of gravel roads.  I got myself lost and spent an hour or so trying to figure out how to get out.  I did manage to see a familiar road and as I was slowly traveling along, a full-grown black Florida Panther ambled across the road in front of my car and hopped into the brush and disappeared.  To say I was shocked and awed would be an understatement.

From: 1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Richard Kinsley
Sent: Thursday, December 18, 2014 11:03 AM
To: 1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Wildlife Encounters

They are awesome. We have quite a few of them around here in NE

On Dec 18, 2014 7:10 AM, "Bob Faunce" <bobsbelvedere@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi – I’d like to start a new fun thread on interesting wildlife encounters while driving.  Earlier this week I was in Dresden, a small Maine river town between the state capital of Augusta and the coast, inspecting a road stream culvert.  As I was climbing down the embankment I heard this flapping sound.  I looked up and a bald eagle was taking off from a small tree about 30 feet away.  He flew to another tree about 100 feet away and sat watching me.  I continue down the embankment and heard more noise.  I looked up and saw an adult and a juvenile bald eagle fly away from another tree close by and land on a tree a couple of hundred feet away.  Three eagles in about 30 seconds and they were all watching me looking at the culvert!  The stream was free flowing below the culvert but ponded above.  I guess they were looking for fish swimming in the open water.  How about that!  Bob from Maine