Re: TREASURE FIND

Good going Sherlock :-)

On Jan 20, 2015 3:50 PM, "MO" <micher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  This is a long story so get you a cold drink , Last week I and a friend went over to a Mopar nut place a few miles away. He has a Rambler AMC with a 392 Hemi in it  He also is a consistant tractor pull winner with a 360 mopar engine.  As we were sitting in his shop, bench racing, he mentioned to me that he had a 3 speed tranny with a Hurst shifter body ( all but the handle) on it.  He wanted me to look at it and see what I thought it was. It was in the trunk of a salvage car and a few years ago, he had bought it for just a few bucks. It had been in the trunk of a late 40's Hudson. When  he opened the trunk my eyes probably got as big as a couple moons!--heart rate went up. I was just real sure that was a Max Wedge  3 speed.  I knew the history on this tranny.
  When I was in High School  (60-64 ) there was a man that had a John Deere and Plymouth Dealership. He had a son in his late 20's that wanted to go racing in I.M.C.A.  late modle stock car racing. They ordered a brand new 1963 Max Wedge.  and set it up for 1/2 mile dirt track. The son raced it fairly often traveling from Minn. to Louisiana and  saveral places in between.
When the car got to old to be eligable for late modle, he put a 64 Plymouth front clip on it.  don't think he raced it a lot after that. He put the Stock car in a barn, where it was forgotten about for several years. Another Mopar friend discovered it and knew what the engine was. He bought it for cheap  and had the chance to sell it and make a few bucks. This was quite some time ago. I never knew what happened to the rest of the car.
  Fast forward to present time. Nobody thought the tranny might be valuable  and so it was forgotten about.  The racer had a Sister who lived at the home place  She had a 57 Plymouth Fury that sat outside sinking in the dirt and the dogs used it for a dog house. it was a complete Fury--But that is another story!! She also had a late 40's Hudson sitting in a shed for several years. --a guy bought that Hudson and took it home. My friend the Mopar nut,  found the tranny and bought it., not knowing what it was , but prety sure it was Mopar. That is where the missing Max Wedge tranny had been stored.   near  50  year Mystery of the  rare tranny solved.
  I have been doing research and this is no doubt a Max Wedge tranny for a 63 B body. I will talk to the owner and see what he wants to do with it. I am pretty sure it will go to Ebay......................MO