Re: Front drum hub and LH lug studs (Pic)

Re: Front drum hub and LH lug studs (Pic)

Well this I know about the 1962 Newports and other boats.  The original wheels are held on with only 65 ft pounds.  Not all that much.  And if you put them on too tight it will warp the drums, especially on the back drums.  If I remember right more than 85 pounds will cause warpage of the drums and damage to the hubs (part of the drum, not normally separated)  So with such "light" torque of the lug nuts you can see why left handed treads on one side of the car could be a good thing.  Even if the wheels were not on tight, as you drive forward they will get a big tighter and the wheels are less likely to fly off the car.

I too dumped my left handed threads.  I upgraded my front hubs to disk brakes from a 1976 Dart.  That means that my front wheel can be tightened to 85 pounds.  However my rears as still the same hub so I can not do the same.  I put all 4 of mine at 75 pound and split the difference.  Re-check them at 25 miles then 50 miles until they do not need to be tightened anymore.

Lots of new cars are at 110 pounds to keep those things on.

The basic rule of thumb is if the lug is
7/16" it's 65-75 pounds
1/2" it's 75-85 pounds
9/16" 135-145 pounds
5/8" 150 pounds
10mm is 45-55 pounds (Honda 600 and Z cars, Chevy Sprints, first gen Geo Metros, Lots of those mini cars with tiny 10"-12" wheels)
12mm is 70-80 pounds
14mm is 85-90 pounds.

My car has all 1/2" BUT I still have the stock rear drums so I can't go nuts with wheel torque.

So that could be a reason to keep them, or just keeping it stock, or concourse restoration, or why not, nothing wrong with them, just don't forget, I'd mark the ends with red nail polish so the "L" stands out and not let idiots mess with my wheels.