Re: swapping tapered axles for later flanged axles

Re: swapping tapered axles for later flanged axles

If you are wanting to swap out the tapered axle just to ease brake maintenance, there is a much better and cheaper way.  I wrote a Wiki article on swapping tapered axle brakes for later model slip on drum brakes that is available here: http://hotrodsandhemis.com/PolaraRearBrakes/TaperedAxleBrakes.html

The swap is very inexpensive (under $100 for all the new brake parts) and everything is available from your local Napa store.  Removing the wheel studs and drum from the hub can be easily done without the "swedge" cutter just by cutting them off flush with the drum, drilling a 1/8-3/16" hole in the center of the stud and then simply pressing them out.  The hole allows the stud to compress when being pressed out so it won't damage the hub.

If you're going racing and plan on swapping gears on a regular basis, swapping the entire housing out for a later model would probably be easier, however for a street driven car just doing the brake upgrade to slip on drums is the least expensive way to go.