Re: electronic distributor -- expansion of discussion.

Re: electronic distributor -- expansion of discussion.

This issue has turned into a bit of a thread.

My Understanding Is:

Electronic ignitions are generally preceived to have significant advantages over points ignition.

Electronic ignition permits an enlarged spark plug gap, which provides a more significant spark which provides easier starting, higher rpms, and somewhat better gas milage than points ignition. There is also the matter of significantly decreased maintenance on the system since there are no points to adjust/replace. A dwell meter need no longer be part of the tune-up kit. In fact electronic ignition itself is no longer part of a tune-up, merely a go/no go question.

All in all, electronic ignition comprises a minor change to a points ignition. The distributor body remains basically the same and the spark is distributed in the same manner. All that changes is the manner in which the coil's spark is triggered. The electronic ignition module that replaces the points provides a "better" signal to the coil (signal starts more rapidly, continues longer, stops more abruptly).

An ignition upgrade does not significantly compensate for other engine difficulties such as compression/bleed down issues, vacume leaks, poor fuel/air mixture control, valve or ignition timing problems. But it does make an otherwise well running engine somewhat better running.

In general all mainstream engines had electronic ignition distributors by the mid 70's and continued with them through the mid 80's (when comuterized ignitions became common). Any later model electronic ignition distributor should be able to be installed in an earlier version of that distributors engine family with minimal difficulty. A common belief is that GM's HEI module is somewhat superior to other manufactureres, but the ones made by other manufactures are not in any sence "bad".

An electronic distributor does not need to have its coil attached to the distributor -- both the coil and the module can be "stand alone" components which are remotely mounted. Thus an electronic distributor can "mimic" a stock distributor.

There are after-market kits that install inside of stock distributors by replacing that distributor's points. Various individuals have various experiences regarding various kit manufactureres and comments may be found in this thread. My cuda has a GM HEI module remotely mounted on the passenger side inner fender and I have been very pleased with the upgrade. But then I do not expect to win any points at a show.

I've got an electric signal tach wired to the HEI module. Its happy with the signal it receives. I think I could have ran the signal off of the coil had I wished.

   ddonner

----- Original Message ----- From: "donnerlaw1" <donnerlaw1@xxxxxxx>