From: Herb
Sent: Sunday, May 24, 2015 12:49 AM
Subject: Re: Electrical Problems

The condenser is to suppress a clicking noise in the AM radio created by the relay operating.  Some cars still have the condenser they installed on the alternator to suppress a addable hum in the AM radio along with the weaker channels.  I have only seen one car with a condenser on the voltage regulator, I am sure to suppress a clicking noise in the radio.  I believe it was a Dealer installed fix, probably for cars that were navigating around in rural areas in the outer limits of radio stations.

If you convert your Voltage Limiter to a solid state unit you can remove the condenser unless you want to keep the original look.  If you do keep it, it will be just along for a ride and should have no affect on the replacement VL.

BTW, if anyone has any of these noise issues with their original AM radio here's the fix!!

I had a similar gauge issue on my 59 Dodge,  Your fuel tank sender needs to be grounded, from the factory their is a strap that pops on the fuel line & sender over the rubber tube connecting the two.  Over the years they corrode and fall off or are just removed by someone doing a repair and not realizing what it did.  The final solution to my problem was to run a wire from a cleaned up spot on the fuel line over the rubber to a cleaned up spot on the sender outlet and on to the frame grounding them all together.  Ya, it is a little shade tree, but I like to referrer to it as field expedient.  It got my gauge working.

Herb