Re: brake fluid?

Back when DOT 5 was first promoted in the old car hobby, besides the "won't ruin my paint" argument, people also noted 5's not absorbing water. To complicate things more there also now is DOT 5.1 which is very different than DOT 5. http://safebraking.com/what-is-dot-5-1-brake-fluid/ gives the rest of the story.

The "simpler is better" model means DOT 4 is fine. One tip I've shared here before was given to me by a long-time car guy. Once a year he pumped out most (not all) of the brake fluid in the old car's master cylinder and refilled it with fresh DOT 3 fluid, which was all that was available back then. He never had any problems with water in his car's brake lines causing rusty / leaky wheel cylinders.

Thanks,
Gary H.