Re: Moroso Accumulator

Here's the pre-lube logic from one vendor:

"All internal combustion motors and engines manufactured today have a common design flaw.
     The motor oil pressure that separates and prevents wear to the main bearings, rod bearings, cam bearings, piston wrist pins isn't present until after the motor is already running!
     Just having oil pressure before startup will eliminate this problem and over 50% of the total motor bearing wear will be eliminated.
     In the beginning all internal combustion motors used the splash system of lubricating the main and rod bearings. Unfortunately the bearings didn't last long before they had to be replaced.
     If the owner was lucky the particular connecting rod going out didn’t fly through the block and ruin the engine completely, but only if he shut it down as soon as the first knock was heard.
     Because the bearings in the splash system weren’t separated by pressurized oil, they tended to make contact with the crankshaft during certain driving conditions like going uphill, and immediately freeze up when the lead they were made with melted and broke off.
     Finally someone had enough motor and engine rebuilding and decided to solve the defect by drilling small holes to connect all the bearings to an oil pump that would separate the bearing surfaces with pressurized oil.
     The reasoning was that as long as the pressurized oil maintained a clearance between the bearing surfaces, absolutely no wear could occur, and they were correct.
     The first designs had the oil pump connected to the crankshaft, which had to spin several hundred revolutions before the first oil pressure was present to separate the bearing surfaces, resulting in a small amount of wear every time the motor was started.
     The longer the engine was idle between running the greater the wear to the main and rod bearings as well as the Hydraulic valve lifters and cam bearings etc. every time it was started.
     Almost all internal combustion engines made today have the same obvious design flaw.                             Having oil pressure before startup will eliminate this problem.
http://www.pre-lube-it-or-lose-it.com/

And another:

"...filtered oil is stored in the accumulator ready to pressurize the system BEFORE the first revolution of the crankshaft.
     As soon as the ignition key is turned on the low oil pressure light will go out and the engine oil pressure gauge will start to register oil pressure.
     And the timing chain tensioners will be pumped up and the proper tension on the timing chains will be applied before start-up....Thereby completely eliminating all of the wear due to dry bearing abrasion!"
http://engineprelube.com/

And another:
"The Keith Eickert Engine Pre-Luber System was designed to help eliminate one of the most damaging occurrences that takes place in a performance engine; "Cold Start Scuffing". During the initial start-up of an engine the lack of any type of oil pressure leaves the cylinder walls, bearings and valve train without the necessary oiling cushion that is normally provided by the engine oil pump. That was the driving factor to develop a pre-oiling system that would allow the necessary cushion of oil support to an engines vulnerable surfaces."
https://www.cpperformance.com/products/Oil/engine-pre-lube.htm

You get the idea.

Thanks,
Gary H.