Re: Flushing the cooling system BEFORE installing a new water pump

Re: Flushing the cooling system BEFORE installing a new water pump

I'd flush it.  Why get all those bits of grit and rust and metal in the new bearings.  You don't have to put it back together to flush it.  Disconnect the heater hoses and flush the heater core with gentle water pressure, too much will cause a weak heater core to fail on the spot. Be sure the heater valve is set to open (slid the heater control on the dash to Hot)  Flush it both ways till water runs clear.  Then take off both upper and lower radiator hoses to flush out the radiator.  Put a towel in the lower part of the radiator or hold your hand over the lower hose connector and fill the radiator.  Flush it with full water pressure till it runs clear.  Now for the block, do the same thing.  Fill and drain till it's clear.

No problem really.  I got big bits of coiled metal out of my block.  It was the coiled spring parts from the radiator hose that had long ago broken up.  Once it's all done put your pump back in, put whatever you are going to use for coolant back in it and away you go.