Re: Master cylinder

Always use a dual reservoir master cylinder. They became mandatory in new
cars around 1967 for safety reasons. Yes, the singles will work fine 99.9%
of the time, but having the dual is relatively cheap insurance.

A master cylinder change is basically always part of converting to disc
brakes, as the reservoir size and the cylinder bore are usually different
than for drums. A master cylinder for a later '60s manual disc brake Mopar
will bolt right in. You can even go newer and get an aluminum master with
a plastic reservoir, but you'll have to buy an adapter to convert the bolt
pattern at the firewall.

You will also need to add a proportioning valve so that the front brakes
lock before the rears. If you don't, you will wear our the rears
prematurely by them doing more than their fair share of the braking, and
the back will try to come around on you during a panic stop.

Dave Casey