From: 1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Bob Faunce
Sent: Friday, November 04, 2016 5:40 AM
To: 1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: WPC Museum closing its doors for good

Chrysler is shutting down the 200, Dart, Viper.  That basically leaves the Challenger, Charger and 300, a bunch of Jeep clone SUVs and a van.  My guess is that the three remaining cars will eventually be folded into the Chrysler line (or one or more eliminated) and Dodge will be gone.  If it did not close, the Chrysler museum would not be much different than the Studebaker or Packard Museums showing a bunch of historical cars that most people today would have no connection to.  How many of our kids know anything about Plymouths and its production ended only 15 years ago?  How about Dodge in the next 15 years?

Personally I think Chrysler is making a mistake essentially abandoning car production.  Gas will not always be cheap and people will tire of SUVs and crossovers and when they do what will they buy from Chrysler.  We know that Fiats, rebadged or not, are at best a niche product.  As far as I can see Ram trucks and the Jeep line are keeping Chrysler afloat.  Chrysler has not been able to sell its cars because every year they end up at the bottom of the quality and reliability lists.  Maybe if they invested in these cars, kept the technology up and improved quality there would be at least enough of a market for them to make a profit. No true hybrids, no electric, no cutting edge technology except UConnect, so-so gas mileage, no new in-house designed ultra-modern platforms, lousy resale.

Chrysler has been down many times since the 1950's and always seemed to recover, sometimes spectacularly so, but I don't believe it has much of a future.