Re: Electronic Constant Voltage Regulator

Re: Electronic Constant Voltage Regulator

To further what Dodger said, the OEM style regulator uses points which open and close to mechanically chop the voltage to the field of the alternator on and off to prevent overcharging (if you leave the field fully powered, you will get upwards of 18V out of the alternator). This mechanical chopping is electrically noisy and electronics like the Orange box can have issues due to that electrical noise on the power supply.

An electronic regulator uses a transistor to much more smoothly control the output of the alternator, which makes for much less electrical noise in the system and a happy Orange box.

I believe the race only regulators do some very simple regulation which gives you a near constant HP loss to the alternator for predictable engine performance (i.e. 1/4 mile consistency), but this simple regulation is detrimental to either the alternator, the battery, or both over long periods of run time (like cruising).

You should be able to get an electronic version of your current style regulator at your local auto parts store - it should be one of the options they offer you when you ask for a voltage regulator for your specific model. You can also convert your system to use the 1970-up OEM mopar regulator, which is electronic. The conversion is fairly simple but it is not quite as "plug and play" easy as using the drop-in electronic replacement from the auto parts store.

Dave Casey