Re: 500 CFM vs 600 CFM Carburetor for the 318 Poly

Good deal Ricky.  Yes, the 500cfm works very well on mildly built 318 Poly’s.  I did a back to back dyno test with one of my  396” Stroker Poly motors using an 850cfm double pumper Holley and then one of my 500cfm Edelbrocks from a dual quad setup; amazingly, same HP & Torque at every rpm level but for a “1” HP  and “1” Torque difference at one rpm measurement...which means identical and that on “this” test the Stroker didn’t want any more than what the 500cfm carb was delivering...air hat bore testimony as well.
Gary P.

Sent: Monday, August 28, 2017 7:28 AM
Subject: 500 CFM vs 600 CFM Carburetor for the 318 Poly

When debating recently to try a 500 CFM carb I got conflicting input – most peeps here said stay with the 600 cfm.  My brother also said it would not make that much difference.

Called the Edelbrock support line and the rep said 600 cfm – even though their selection chart clearly shows 500 cfm.

http://www.edelbrock.com/advertising/Literature/Misc/EDL_Carb_Application_Chart_03186.pdf

I asked the local Honest Performance and they said my 318 would have better throttle response and still have good power with the 500 CFM (Edelbrock 1403).  I also read this posted on several forums.  And it certainly does.

This car always had eye burning exhaust smells when driving and when parked in the garage hot.  This is with a freshly rebuilt 318 Poly with a mild cam.  Added a phenolic spacer and that helped with the smells when parking – and better start-up cold since it helps the gas not boil away – keeping the carb cooler.  But still had exhaust smells driving – seems much better driving and parked now with the 500 CFM.  Even driving around with the rear tailgate window open now, hardly notice the exhaust smell.  No worse than any pre-catalytic converter car.

First cold start this morning with the auto choke it started scary fast.  ; )