Re: upsizing to 5 on 4.5

I meant front wheel bearings...

As I explained, in the late sixties the Valiant Pacers were used to set long distance speed records using Sandown Park racing circuit. But the weak link was the front wheel bearings and some cars didn't make it. In 1970 they set to it again, now with vented discs on the 5 x 4.0" pattern hubs. But wheel bearing sizes were the same and now they had the extra power and speed of the Hemi 6 engine they had more failures.

In 1971 the upgrade to bigger wheel bearings took place along with the 5 x 4.5" bolt pattern. These bearings are not as big as the bearings on the B-body cars, but they did overcome the problem and allowed the A-body enthusiast to swap the later spindles with the 4.5" bolt pattern readily onto the earlier cars.

As for the rear end, we lost the 7¼" Chrysler rear end in 1967. There was a crucial need to put more Australian content into the cars as it affected the tax level and therefore the selling price for the cars. A Borg-Warner rear end was substituted, it had bigger axle splines than the 7¼, but was not as hefty as the 8¾" units which never came here in the A-body.

It is possible - I have a jig for the purpose - to re-drill the early Borg-Warner axles to the 5 x 4.5" pattern, but this cannot be done with the 7¼ 5 x 4.0" axles as the access holes for the retaining bolts don't allow it. A neat job of this includes putting spacer rings on the wheel register to take it out to the same size as B/C body size and using the later brake drums.

Ray