Re: Gauge Replacement

That result gives you a good feeling!
Mike

On Mon, Jul 30, 2018 at 11:48 PM, Bill Helm <1modigger@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi, Gary -
I know there aren't many Dodge Custom 880's out there, but I thought the following might be of interest to members.

My car is a 1963 Dodge Custom 880, 55 years old, 41,000 miles (car of the month November 2016).  I had been using regular unleaded fuel, but decided this time to fill my car with non-ethanol fuel.  I was driving home and all of a sudden my gauges pegged right.  In my car they are (from left to right) fuel, temp, oil, ammeter.  The ammeter gauge did not peg out.  From everything I’ve read in the wealth of information on this website, conventional wisdom was that the 5V voltage limiter in the fuel gauge had burned out, which then caused the other gauges to “fry.”  The change to better fuel was not a suspect.  Prior to this, my fuel gauge had never worked (always registered 5/8 full regardless of amount of gas in tank), and the other gauges were all working.

We determined that the voltage limiter in the gas gauge had, in fact, failed.  We replaced it with a NOS gauge/limiter, and BINGO the gas gauge began to work – for the first time since I’ve owned the car.  The oil pressure gauge also continued to work, but the temp gauge was not working.  We tested the temperature sending unit and it was working.  Test of the old temp gauge showed it was not working.   So our conclusion was that when the gas gauge limiter failed, it fried the temperature gauge (which was next in line), but not the oil gauge.  We replaced the temperature gauge with a NOS gauge, and BINGO it began to work.  So all of my gauges are again working thanks to finding NOS gauges on eBay and help from moparornocar!

Thanks again, Gary for all the good stuff you share with us.
/s/  Bill