Re: 426 WEDGE on the Dyno

One cool and perhaps subtle thing about the video was the great example of how over-advanced timing can negatively impact performance.  I used to (wrongly) think that the right amount of timing was right before detonation.  I learned you can actually ignite the flame front such that it is fighting against the piston, making it harder for the piston to come up the bore, without causing detonation.  In the case of the 426 on the dyno, it netted a loss of around 5 HP.
On Tuesday, January 5, 2021 at 2:45:19 PM UTC-5 Bill Parker wrote:
Yes Victor the transmission is spaced out, the logical explanation is as you say, the early crank!  Could it have been built for marine use though and will properly fit the stern drive once it is off the dyno?  I know nothing about boats bigger than our fishing boat though.

On Jan 5, 2021, at 2:36 PM, victor spikes <vics...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

What's interesting to me and i don't believe anyone has pointed out , is it has a extended crankshaft , being the 426 street wedge if i remember correct was first available in 64,if so it has to be a 62 or earlier crank unless like the timing gear and reverse camshaft  it is a industrial or marine engine . Just a strange all around pieced together engine , Vic

From: 1962to19...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <1962to19...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of JimJablonski <groov...@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, January 5, 2021 1:09 PM
To: The 1962 to 1965 Mopar Mail List Clubhouse <1962to19...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: 426 WEDGE on the Dyno

It was an obvious "rattle can rebuild."  Worn out 426 where someone bolted on some 906 heads and an iron four barrel intake they had laying around, then painted it orange.  I hope the owner didn't pay too much for it.  At least he'll have a 426 core if he wants to make something mean out of it someday.  :-(