Re: Rumor in '59/'60

All good points and to do that they would have had to start designing early on.  Thus there would have been spying and info gathering by Ford and GM and Chrysler, per 1960.

After the Dodge and Plymouth big block 400 plus horse power was produced in 1962 came the mid-sized 1964 Ford Fairlane called the Thunderbolt with 427 ci which actually put out 500 + HP.  They advertised less HP for insurance purposes.

How does that not get recognized as Muscle over the 1964 GTO?

Then came the 1964 light weight drag Dodges with aluminum from ends.

Still Dodge and Plymouth were 2 years ahead in 1962 which really ramped up and cause or started the muscle car scramble and Ford and GM had to tool up.  Chrysler was already in production.

David C Hurd
via iPhone