Re: Transmission fluid?

Ok thank you!

On Sun, Mar 14, 2021, 8:34 AM 'DAVID HURD' via The 1962 to 1965 Mopar Mail List Clubhouse <1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The appearance should be A clear red fluid just like initially added to the transmission out of the container with a sweat aroma smell.

No discoloration and no burned smell.

Healthy transmission fluid should be relatively odorless if not slightly sweet. If your transmission fluid is burnt, it will smell more like burnt toast.

What Should It Look Like?

Healthy transmission fluid should be relatively clear or pink in color. If your transmission fluid is deep red or brown, your transmission fluid is old and most likely causing extra damage within your transmission. If it is dark brown, that is a sign you have burnt transmission fluid from overheating.

You should also check for any particles within your transmission fluid. Over time, your transmission fluid will accumulate more and more small metal pieces as parts within your transmission wear down. The more particles there are floating around in your transmission fluid, the more wear and damage is being caused by your transmission fluid. This is why regular transmission maintenance, such as transmission fluid flushes, is beneficial for the lifespan of your car.

What Should It Smell Like?

It may seem strange to sniff your transmission fluid, but you can tell a lot about its health by doing so. Healthy transmission fluid should be relatively odorless if not slightly sweet. If your transmission fluid is burnt, it will smell more like burnt toast. Of course, if your transmission fluid smells burnt, you should not only get a transmission flush but also have your cooling system checked since your transmission is likely overheating.

David C Hurd
via iPhone