Vote for The Forward Look Network on the Mopar Top 100 Sites 

Re: '61 Plymouth Hardtop Back glass removal

From: Tony
Remote Name:
Date: September 30, 2003


Mike, I replaced the windshield on my 58 Belvedere in 1996 using a piece of oak, 3/4" wide, 1/4" thick, and about 8" long (you can use most hardwoods). One end needs to be tapered so the tool can be inserted between the glass and the rubber and worked around the glass. Start at a bottom corner and work your way up, across the top and down the other side. When you have 3 sides loose, you can lift the glass out of the gasket. Remember that the rear window is tempered and if it breaks, you'll have several thousand pieces. When you install the glass you will have to work it a bit at the bottom, and then just work the 3 sides in by lifting the rubber and pushing the glass in, it will take more time to work it in than out. Another choice would be to call a mobile glass pro. As for new windshield rubber, I got a new gasket for my 65 Sport Fury convertible from Clester's Auto Rubber in North Carolina. The first gasket was short at the sides, but they took my measurments and produced an exact fit. You should be able to find their number in Hemmings, if not, send me an email and I'll find their invoice and send it to you.


Last changed: July 19, 2018