Vote for The Forward Look Network on the Mopar Top 100 Sites 

Re: '58 Plymouth Automatic trans

From: Hank Dozier
Email: dozierhc <at>
Remote Name:
Date: October 10, 2003


You could have either a Powerflite or a Torqueflite. Both had air-cooled converter variants in Plymouths. Check your push-button unit. If you have four buttons (LDRN) it is a Powerflite. If 5 buttons (L2DRN) it is a Torqueflite. You CAN add water cooling to the transmission by removing the front and rear pipe plugs (on driver's side) of trans housinfg and rinstalling pipe to tubing nut adaptors for 5/15" tubing in the trans and bending up lines to run to either an external coolor or the one in the radiator bottom tank, if so equipped. Details on where to find these plugs is in most Service Manuals, as they are also used for pressure setting/checking.


Last changed: July 19, 2018