Wilbur Huyett's 1958 Dodge Coronet
Lancer Mike
Posted 2008-03-07 12:05 AM (#118650)
Subject: Wilbur Huyett's 1958 Dodge Coronet

Wilbur's "Beast" (or is it the "Son of Beast") is getting kicked out of it's winter time comfort cot and is returning to my back yard. I did miss it this winter. Last winter it was a lot of fun to bumble through the neighborhood on the nice days. This year I was able to park another car in the space, which was nice, but I couldn't bumble around as I like to. As a result, I haven't driven any forward look car since November - although I did get to ride in a Regal Lancer in January!

Some of you may have read the story of the Beast in the following link:
http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=11997&posts=16&highlight=Huyett&highlightmode=1#M71832

I don't think I ever did much of an update on the Beast.  I did make contact with Bill Huyett, Craig Huyett, and Janet Enyart - all relatives of Wilbur Huyett.  Unfortunately, the trail gets really cold, really fast.  Bill and Janet were fairly convinced that this was not, in fact, "the Beast" Uncle Wilbur's name for the car - but was most likely the "Son of Beast".  Apparently, when Wilbur stopped racing the Beast, there was a bit of a family squabble about who would inherit the Beast.  Janet and Bill believe that Wilbur finally decided that no one would inherit the Beast and he had it crushed.  They said this must be the "Son of Beast", which was the identical tow car for the Beast.

I expressed some doubts that this could be the Son of Beast because it's 4:1 gear ratio make it nearly impossilbe to drive on the highway and the tube headers just don't make sense for a tow car.  They countered that Wilbur's son may have souped up the Son of Beast for racing later in the 1970's.

I did find and copy Wilbur Huyett's obituary, but I'll be danged, I can't find the day he died.  He was born March 6 (holy cow - today is his birthday) 1922 at the age of 57. He had two sons, Tracey A. and Roger D., and a daughter, Linda E. Ogden.  I tried tracking those folks down, but no luck.  The family couldn't even track them down!  To wit, I have not been able to find original photographs of the car through the family or through the Denver Timing Association.  I contacted the NHRA, but I was unable to verify or dispell rumors that Wilbur Huyett held a national record.

I have a sneaking suspicion that perhaps Wilbur could not force himself to crush his beloved Beast.  Perhaps it survived and now sits in my backyard.  I do know that my friend Jared Richards says he saw a very faint "the Beast" barely visible on one of the front fenders.  I think I recall seeing the same thing.  Unfortunately, I can no longer see it and one of the fenders was relpaced because a dipstick dented the hell out of it when it was parked on the street (no note or nuttin).  I didn't have room to save the fender, so I let the alley rats wisk it away in the middle of the night.  I have repainted some of the other script that was rapidly fading from view.  I'll take an updated photo and post it in a reply.

(passenger side rear 1 reduced.jpg)

(passenger side 2 reduced.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments passenger side rear 1 reduced.jpg (81KB - 361 downloads)
Attachments passenger side 2 reduced.jpg (94KB - 362 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Lancer Mike
Posted 2008-03-10 6:34 PM (#119359 - in reply to #118650)
Subject: RE: Wilbur Huyett's 1958 Dodge Coronet

I just found out that Linda Huyett, Wilbur and Cora's only daughter, passed away on February 23, 2008! She lived in Fort Lupton - I wish I could have talked to her! I will try to contact her sons, companion, and brother.

Linda Huyett
Jan. 23, 1948-Feb 23, 2008
Residence: Fort Lupton
Tribute: Linda Elaine Huyett was born to Wilbur Huyett and Cora June Van Buren-Huyett in Kansas. Her father raced cars, so the family traveled frequently, and when she was about 10 years old, her family chose to settle in the Denver area.
In 1968, she married Jerry Arnold Ogden in Denver. Ms. Huyett worked for Denver Plastics and Beehive Homes, and her last job was at Diamond Shamrock in Fort Lupton. She enjoyed cooking, bingo, board games and computer games. Most of all she liked to spend quality time with her family and friends.
A bit of a practical joker, Ms. Huyett never liked to see anyone unhappy. She was a loving mother and grandmother and a kind generous friend to all who knew her.
Ms. Huyett died Saturday at Centennial Health Care Center in Greeley.
Survivors: Two sons, Douglas Allen Ogden and Brian Edward Ogden, both of Greeley; her beloved companion of 13 years, David Lambeth of Fort Lupton; two grandchildren; Brian “Boomer” Ogden and Marissa Ogden; a nephew, Roger Dean Huyett Jr.; and a brother, Roger Dean Huyett Sr.; and many special friends and family.
Preceded in death by: Her parents and a grandson Scott Ogden.
Services: A private service for the family and friends will be at a later date.
Note: Cremation. Instead of flowers, memorial gifts to help with expenses may be sent in care of Mr. David Lambeth, 1015 Lancaster Ave., Fort Lupton, CO 80621. Paul's Funeral Services and Consulting is in charge of arrangements.
Top of the page Bottom of the page