Constructing new panels for beside the rear seat in a 4 door
56D500boy
Posted 2017-11-15 7:56 PM (#552328)
Subject: Constructing new panels for beside the rear seat in a 4 door

Expert 5K+

In this case, my 56 Dodge. I am not sure what they are called but I am talking about the panel that is beside the rear seat in a 4 door. One of the purposes of the panel is to hide the cavity at the base of the "C" pillar. The other purpose is to help hold the windlace in place in that area.

When I first removed my rear seat back in the fall of 2016, these panels fell apart due to rot. I think what I found was somebody's "fix". The seemed to be thin mahogany plywood covered in vinyl. I threw them out since they crumbled and would not have worked as templates for new ones.

What I was trying to achieve is the equivalent of this (more or less) previously posted by Macedon. Looks like vinyl over hardboard.

Because I made my front kick panels out of ABS ( http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=67088&... ) and I had left over ABS, I decided to make these beside-the-rear seat panels out of ABS as well. One problem: No template to start with.

Solution: Finish up that Jumbo box of Raisin Bran and use the cereal box cardboard for the base template. Which is what I did. I cut the first basic template freehand with scissors and then tried it up against the car. Trimmed and added material (cardboard and masking tape) until I thought it was good enough to cut the Mark 1 hardboard panel with my jig saw and some 1/8" hardboard left over from my trunk panel project ( http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=66941&... )

Then I marked up and trimmed the Mk 1 panel, retrying it few times until I was happy. Then I used the Mk 1 panel to create the Mark 2 panel. Same thing, keep trimming and marking it up and retrying. Then cut the Mark 3 panel.

At that point, I thought I had it nailed and decided that I was ready for the ABS. Because I couldn't find my silver sharpy to transfer the Mark 3 panel outline to the ABS and I remember when I did so with the kick panels, the ABS panels grew because I didn't cut to the inside of the silver mark. SO I decided to place masking tape on the ABS and trace the Mark 3 outline with a thin ball point pen. The I cut ON the marked line to create the first ABS panel. Well actually it will be the only ABS panel for that side. (I only have enough ABS to do the other side). Not to worry, the ABS panel only needed a few tweeks (which is annoying because I thought I had it nailed with the Mark 3 hardboard panel). Eventually I was happy (enough) and cold (weather turned nasty and I was working outside), so I quit for the day.

For fun, before I put the car back in the garage, I tried the new right side panel in the left side position. HA HA HA. What was I thinking?? Due to manufacturing "tolerances" or some such BS, the left panel is going to be slightly bigger than the right side, not just a mirror image. Oh well, I have enough material to do that at some point (soon) (ish).

I will either just paint the ABS panel (textured side out) *OR* cover it with one of the blue vinyls from my rear parcel tray project ( http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/forums/get-attachment.asp?action=... )

Photos from today, starting with a example of the beside-the-rear-seat area that needs covering (in this case the driver's side - I actually worked on the passenger side on because I had the C-pillar cover in place there):

Edited by 56D500boy 2017-11-16 10:58 AM

(56DodgeTheAreaBesideTheSeatThatNeedsACover.jpg)

(56DodgeBesideTheSeatPanel_Templates.jpg)

(56DodgeBesideTheSeatPanel_Mk3OutlineOnTheABS.jpg)

(56DodgeBesideTheSeatPanel_ABSPanelInPlaceRightSide.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 56DodgeTheAreaBesideTheSeatThatNeedsACover.jpg (159KB - 141 downloads)
Attachments 56DodgeBesideTheSeatPanel_Templates.jpg (202KB - 129 downloads)
Attachments 56DodgeBesideTheSeatPanel_Mk3OutlineOnTheABS.jpg (198KB - 146 downloads)
Attachments 56DodgeBesideTheSeatPanel_ABSPanelInPlaceRightSide.jpg (153KB - 131 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
grunau
Posted 2017-11-15 8:50 PM (#552334 - in reply to #552328)
Subject: Re: Constructing new panels for beside the rear seat in a 4 door

Extreme Veteran

Hi
Nice Job! I have to make similar panels for the area behind the rear seat and the wheel house in my '59 Wagon ....I have some unfinished masonite which should work ....just need to locate the correct vinyl......
56D500boy
Posted 2017-11-15 9:13 PM (#552337 - in reply to #552334)

Expert 5K+

grunau - 2017-11-15 8:50 PM
Nice Job! I have to make similar panels for the area behind the rear seat and the wheel house in my '59 Wagon ....I have some unfinished masonite which should work ....just need to locate the correct vinyl......

Thanks.

I am a fan of the ABS sheet material (1/8" thick, smooth one side, textured the other) for these applications (kick panels and beside the rear seats) because they will NOT be affected by water. EVER.

If you are going to use masonite hardboard strongly suggest that you at least primer both sides and the edges to help make them water resistant. (I did that with the masonite door panel I made).

Door panel thread: http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=64288&...

Edited by 56D500boy 2017-11-15 9:15 PM
60 dart
Posted 2017-11-15 11:44 PM (#552346 - in reply to #552328)

Expert 5K+

you can also hold the windlace on with ordinary pop rivets . drill all the holes at one time in correct position or one at a time , use a sharp pointed punch through the windlace ,
pop it on . on some cars with windlace clips , they can be done away with if missing or ate up ---------------------------------------later
56D500boy
Posted 2018-03-17 10:12 AM (#560053 - in reply to #552337)

Expert 5K+

It's been awhile (4 months) since I touched this project (I think I have adult onset ADHD, LOL (or not)). I think the carpet came back from ACC/Stock interiors about then and I was diverted to that project.

In any event, while out playing with the actual install of the front half of the carpet set yesterday, I found the "beside the seat" ABS panel and my "C" pillar cover. I tucked the C-pillar cover into the rubber rear window gasket and then the ABS under the metal panel. I think I did a pretty good job of fitting those panels. Now "all" I need to do is repro them for the rear driver's side. Piece of cake.

Since then, I ordered and received new light blue windlace and will be moving on to installing it behind the edge of these two panels and tucking it under the headliner and then down the B-pillar.

The second photo below is strong evidence of my ADHD. I think I count six projects there (and that is just the tip of the iceberg)

1. Front Seat Belts
2. Door panel renewal (and hunting for the armrest I took off months and months ago - found!) One panel down and three to go, including this one.
3. Windlace
4. Mount for a rear seat shoulder belt - upper - see (5)
5. C-pillar cover - because the cloth was rotten and (4)
6. Trunk panel

Edited by 56D500boy 2018-03-17 10:16 AM

(DaveFs56DodgeWithNewCpanelCoverAndNewABSbesideTheSeatPanel_1.jpg)

(DaveFs56DodgeWithNewCpanelCoverAndNewABSbesideTheSeatPanel_2_Annotated.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DaveFs56DodgeWithNewCpanelCoverAndNewABSbesideTheSeatPanel_1.jpg (196KB - 123 downloads)
Attachments DaveFs56DodgeWithNewCpanelCoverAndNewABSbesideTheSeatPanel_2_Annotated.jpg (175KB - 137 downloads)
56D500boy
Posted 2018-05-05 2:13 AM (#562822 - in reply to #560053)

Expert 5K+

I am trying to focus on finishing the carpet install in my 56 Dodge but have discovered that I need to install the new windlace first ("Sorry sir, you can't get there from here"). (This problem originates with the front kick panels that would be an absolute bear to work on with the seat installed and I have to do the windlace before I can finish the kick panels.

Anyway, that pushed me to start work on the rear doors and their windlace.

Yesterday I flipped the right rear beside-the-seat panel over and used it as a template for the left rear (with some adjustments due to construction differences between left and right). So I cut a new ABS panel for the left side. Once I did that, I sanded the edges of both panels and then checked the fit and marked problem areas and resanded until I was happy with the fit on both sides. That was yesterday.

I let my brain work on how I was going to attach the panels to the car. In doing so I remembered the 1/4" holes that are already there, presumably to mount the OE panels (long gone). So this AM I purchased some wall anchors (1/4" nominal diameter) and some No. 8 brass wood screws (I could use stainless too I guess). Before I installed the anchors in the existing holes, I went about marking the estimated location of these holes relative to the edge of the door opening and height on the panel. I marked the location on masking tape that I put on the panel and then drilled 1/16" holes (4 of them). Then I put masking tape over the 1/4" holes and checked to see if the 1/16" holes lined up with the center of the 1/4" hole by drilling through the 1/16" hole. (Kind of like playing "Mine Sweeper" or "Battleship"). Of the six existing holes, I had problems with 2 of the them, one on each side, that required re-drilling at least once. The other four were pretty much spot on. Both panels needed a fourth hole near the bottom of the panel. I just aligned the panel and then drilled through the panel with a 1/8" bit, into the metal of the car. I then drilled all of the panel holes with the 1/8" bit (to fit the No. 8 screws). The two new 1/8" holes in the car got drilled out to 1/4" and then spray painted with royal blue Tremclad rust paint (like the rest of that area of the car).

After a slight pause to let the paint dry, I pushed in and then hammered in the blue (as it happens) plastic wall anchors into the 1/4" holes. Then, for each panel, I started the four wood screws into the 1/8" holes and then pushed the panel and screws up to and into the wall anchors. Once everything seemed aligned, I used a screw driver to turn the screws into the wall anchors. Turned out okay. A couple of metal tabs left from the OE panel system required "adjustment" with a hammer.

When I was happy with the alignment, I removed the screws and used my No. 8 counter sink bit to provide a relief pocket for the screw head. I then reinstalled the screws. The gap between the panel and the metal of the door opening is pretty minimal (need a bit more "adjustment" on the left rear) and the panel will definitely sandwich the windlace in tight to the door opening.

I am going to paint the textured side of the panels with a dark blue polyurethane brush paint and will eventually paint the counter-sunk screw heads as well. Depending on how visible the screw heads end up being, I might add those plastic screw covers that are used in kitchen cabinet installations.

I think that I will add some double-sided trim tape to the upper ends of these panels, where they touch (or almost touch) the bulkhead. They are kind of floppy in that area and the tape will stop them from moving (vibrating, etc) = no rattling/buzzing.

Here are some photos from today:

Edited by 56D500boy 2018-05-05 9:35 AM

(PlasticScrewAnchorsUsedForTheABSPanelInstall.jpg)

(BesideTheRearDoorPanel_PanelFitmentBeforeAttachment.jpg)

(BesideTheRearDoorPanel_MarkingTheBodyHoleLocations.jpg)

(BesideTheRearDoorPanel_MarkingTheCorrespondingHolesInThePanels.jpg)

(BesideTheRearDoorPanel_TheNewQuarterInchLowerHoleBeforePainting.jpg)

(BesideTheRearDoorPanel_WithTheWallAnchorsInstalled.jpg)

(BesideTheRearDoorPanel_WithTheFirstScrewsInstalled.jpg)

(BesideTheRearDoorPanel_WithAllTheFirstScrewsInstalled.jpg)

(BesideTheRearDoorPanel_WithAllTheFirstScrewsInstalled_LeftSide.jpg)

(BesideTheRearDoorPanel_CounterSinkingDetail.jpg)

(BesideTheRearDoorPanel_CounterSinkingDetail_WIthScrew.jpg)

(BesideTheRearDoorPanel_WithCounterSunkScrews_LeftSide.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments PlasticScrewAnchorsUsedForTheABSPanelInstall.jpg (195KB - 121 downloads)
Attachments BesideTheRearDoorPanel_PanelFitmentBeforeAttachment.jpg (110KB - 125 downloads)
Attachments BesideTheRearDoorPanel_MarkingTheBodyHoleLocations.jpg (180KB - 115 downloads)
Attachments BesideTheRearDoorPanel_MarkingTheCorrespondingHolesInThePanels.jpg (168KB - 133 downloads)
Attachments BesideTheRearDoorPanel_TheNewQuarterInchLowerHoleBeforePainting.jpg (179KB - 108 downloads)
Attachments BesideTheRearDoorPanel_WithTheWallAnchorsInstalled.jpg (128KB - 114 downloads)
Attachments BesideTheRearDoorPanel_WithTheFirstScrewsInstalled.jpg (138KB - 118 downloads)
Attachments BesideTheRearDoorPanel_WithAllTheFirstScrewsInstalled.jpg (167KB - 114 downloads)
Attachments BesideTheRearDoorPanel_WithAllTheFirstScrewsInstalled_LeftSide.jpg (172KB - 129 downloads)
Attachments BesideTheRearDoorPanel_CounterSinkingDetail.jpg (149KB - 155 downloads)
Attachments BesideTheRearDoorPanel_CounterSinkingDetail_WIthScrew.jpg (197KB - 111 downloads)
Attachments BesideTheRearDoorPanel_WithCounterSunkScrews_LeftSide.jpg (162KB - 123 downloads)