Cable size for starter
Muffin1
Posted 2018-10-10 9:52 AM (#571423)
Subject: Cable size for starter

Veteran

What size cable should I use for my starter to solenoid ? And is there a way to test a solenoid ?
Thanks Alex
Top of the page Bottom of the page
56D500boy
Posted 2018-10-10 1:03 PM (#571431 - in reply to #571423)
Subject: RE: Cable size for starter

Expert 5K+

Muffin1 - 2018-10-10 9:52 AM
What size cable should I use for my starter to solenoid ? And is there a way to test a solenoid ? Thanks Alex

Not sure what transmission you have but assuming an automatic, the starter solenoid will have four terminals, two larger ones, i.e. one in from the battery and one out to the starter. The other two are connected to the ignition, i.e. the 12V solenoid trigger signal and the neutral safety switch (ground when the transmission is in neutral). You can test the solenoid (and the starter/battery) with the transmission in neutral by briefly connecting the solenoid battery terminal to the small ignition wire terminal with wire or a screw-driver (one you don't like too much because there will be arching). IF you have a standard trans, you will have the two large terminals and only one small terminal. Briefly connect the larger battery input terminal to the smaller ignition wire terminal WITH THE TRANSMISSION IN NEUTRAL. You should get some action at the starter.

Regarding solenoid to starter cable size, in a previous thread that I started regarding my 12V 1956 Dodge starter Wizard (Sven) said:

"Change the positive and negative wires to AWG 1, or even AWG 0 (this will make the starter very potent) "

Subsequently, I went to a major industrial/marine battery shop and, after some discussion, the guy made me the cable right there and then. Used AWG 1/0 (50 mm^2) CCI Royal/Excelene 600V welding cable (made in the USA) and two AWG 2/0 eyelet lug terminal ends pre-positioned to eliminate twists during install. Professionally double crimped. We have West Coast (BC) term for that: "Skookum" (very strong). Cost me $16 plus taxes. Deal.

Previous thread: http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=66809&... (Page 1)

Top of the page Bottom of the page