Building what you cant afford My low dollar custom 59 Dodge convertible
scottbit
Posted 2021-02-12 11:05 PM (#608820)
Subject: Building what you cant afford My low dollar custom 59 Dodge convertible

Veteran

I have always had a crush on pink 1959 Dodge convertibles. To this day I can still remember seeing one for the first time as a 5 year old child. It was a brand new pink two tone and parked next to a white BMW Isetta 3 wheeler in front of the drug store my mother used to take me to for a limeade after Sunday school. Would have been the spring of 1959. Talk about a study in contrasts, this was heaven for a 5 year old car enthusiast! I also remember being very disappointed that only two of the four tail lights lit up when the driver put on the brakes as they drove off. How lame! Even as a child I was impressed by their laughable exuberance. Both the high point and the nadir of automobile styling, all at the same time and all in the same car! Sadly prices seemed high and availability seemed low so I could only dream. Sixty some years later I had a 1959 Dodge coupe that I had bought thinking about converting it into a convertible, having seen the awesome convertible conversions built by Big M and Jan Fridberg on this forum. Beautiful work, but also a lot of it! I had been thinking in the back of my mind wondering how I could build myself a 59 convertible clone with less work and money while using my much more modest level of skill. Here is what I wound up building this summer for well under $5,000.

(Webp.net-resizeimage (46).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Webp.net-resizeimage (46).jpg (142KB - 262 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
scottbit
Posted 2021-02-12 11:07 PM (#608821 - in reply to #608820)
Subject: RE: Building what you cant afford My low dollar custom 59 Dodge convertible

Veteran

I picked up a 1964 Dodge 880 convertible on eBay for $725. The car had collision damage to the front fender, grille, bumper and right side door plus a big scrape down the top of the rear quarter panel, it was rough but it was rust free. It had 65000 miles and had been stored inside for over 35 years. Engine was a 383 with a two barrel carb and as I had an intake manifold with a known good four barrel carb I swapped them out. With the usual amount of work and a replacement fuel pump I got it running and it ran well. As you may know these cars were basically carry overs of the first generation unibody cars introduced in 1960. Unloved, they don't have fins and there is not much interest in them due to the plain AMC like styling, low production is about all they have going for them. Pictures are not of my car but just to show what an 880 looks like. Add some body damage and the condition is about the same as the one I bought.

(Webp.net-resizeimage (22).jpg)

(Webp.net-resizeimage (23).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Webp.net-resizeimage (22).jpg (196KB - 254 downloads)
Attachments Webp.net-resizeimage (23).jpg (193KB - 250 downloads)
scottbit
Posted 2021-02-12 11:09 PM (#608822 - in reply to #608820)
Subject: RE: Building what you cant afford My low dollar custom 59 Dodge convertible

Veteran

I started by removing the rear quarters off the 880, cutting 1 inch above the body line. I had picked up a rusty, motorless 1959 Dodge 4dr sedan for $750. Car was missing most of its floor and trunk but it did have some nice chrome and rust free front fenders. I cut the rear quarters off it at the bottom of the mid body trim line and welded the rear door skins to it to make up some two-door length quarter panels. Taking measurements off of my 59 Coupe I put the quarter panels in the proper position holding them in place with sheet metal screws and when I was happy with the location I modified the 880 trunk hinges to hold the 59 deck lid to where it matched up with the rear quarters.

(Webp.net-resizeimage (25).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Webp.net-resizeimage (25).jpg (208KB - 258 downloads)
scottbit
Posted 2021-02-12 11:10 PM (#608823 - in reply to #608820)

Veteran

Here it is with everything in place and ready to be welded up. I butt welded the vertical seams and used 3M Panel Bond on the horizontal seam with a one-inch overlap held together with sheet metal screws while it cured. This seam would lay under the stainless steel body molding and would not be visible. I had to modify the rear bumper brackets to put the bumper in the correct position. I did not have a nice pair of the chrome inserts that go under the rear of the tailfins and had always thought the car might look better without them so I cut out all the inner structure under the fin to make them open. Tops of the fenders were flat in this area so I pounded them out round and welded up the center seam. Made up some brushed aluminum panels that are held in by the moldings to fill in the opening at the rear. Chrome trim pieces will still fit in if I wanted to use them but I do think I like the car better without them

(Webp.net-resizeimage (26).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Webp.net-resizeimage (26).jpg (218KB - 262 downloads)
scottbit
Posted 2021-02-12 11:12 PM (#608824 - in reply to #608820)

Veteran

Lower rear quarter panel contours were the same on both cars and matched up nicely where I butt welded them together. The spot weld flange on the bottom matched up to the 1964 trunk extensions perfectly. Inside on the lower edge of the trunk floor everything matched up as well. The panels all fit like they were made for the car. They certainly did not change very much when they went to unibody in 1960!

(Webp.net-resizeimage (27).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Webp.net-resizeimage (27).jpg (150KB - 259 downloads)
scottbit
Posted 2021-02-12 11:15 PM (#608825 - in reply to #608820)

Veteran

Here is the hard work part that has been covered many times, paint stripping, primer and paint. Oh and did I mention sanding and blocking? There was a lot of that too! Most of my experience has been with smaller European cars. darn these cars are big! You will have arms like Conan when you are done blocking one of these! You can also see that I had to switch the gas tank from a rear fill to a side fill tank and put some bends the filler pipe to clear the rear trunk hinge. Why are the unibody convertible trunk hinges so big? Had to track down the long 2dr stainless moldings for the fin and rear quarters, parts for these cars sure seemed more plentiful a few years ago.

(Webp.net-resizeimage (28).jpg)

(Webp.net-resizeimage (29).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Webp.net-resizeimage (28).jpg (210KB - 261 downloads)
Attachments Webp.net-resizeimage (29).jpg (223KB - 254 downloads)
scottbit
Posted 2021-02-12 11:17 PM (#608826 - in reply to #608820)

Veteran

There's a boatload of stainless steel trim on these cars. All of it held on by another boat load of oddly shaped clips. 64 rear wheel arches are flared more than the earlier cars so I had to drill the trim mounting holes a little higher so the trim would sit flat. Doors were about ? inch longer than the 59 doors so I made some longer door trim out of the rear quarter trim moldings off of the 4dr car. Took a fair bit of time to straighten and polish all the trim and then more time to tweek it for a good fit without damaging the new paint. You begin to wonder how well all this stuff fit back in the day when the cars were new. You know they just whacked it all on with a rubber mallet in 30 seconds and called it good. Trunk lid fit on these cars is also problematic. On the production 57-59 cars the fit and panel gaps are literally all over the place. And who designed the rubber trunk seal and minimalist water channel? It's no wonder that most all of these cars have had major trunk floor problems unless they have been garaged their entire life.

(Webp.net-resizeimage (29a).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Webp.net-resizeimage (29a).jpg (195KB - 257 downloads)
scottbit
Posted 2021-02-12 11:19 PM (#608827 - in reply to #608820)

Veteran

On to the front. I cut off the bottom of the front fenders where the cut would be hidden under the body trim. 1960 and up cars have more curvature in the bottom half of the doors so the bottom of the fender would need to be replaced. Radius at the top of the fender needed to be opened up a little to match the radius at the top of the door. I put three cuts in the inner fender support about one inch apart and then I was able to bend the fender a little by hand to match the door radius and then I welded the saw cuts back up. Modified the 59 radiator support to bolt on to the 64 subframe and when I had the front fenders where I wanted them I modified the hinges to hold the hood in the correct position. I must have taken the fenders,hood and hinges off and on about thirty times on each side to get all the tabs, inner fenders, bolt holes and new mounts to all line up and bolt down with good panel lines. This was quite frustrating but a real sense of accomplishment when I finally got it done.

(Webp.net-resizeimage (30).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Webp.net-resizeimage (30).jpg (230KB - 255 downloads)
scottbit
Posted 2021-02-12 11:22 PM (#608828 - in reply to #608820)

Veteran

With the upper fenders in position I welded the lower part of the 64 fenders into place.I had to do a little hammer and Dolly work on the front edge to get the contours to match up but nothing too bad

(Webp.net-resizeimage (31).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Webp.net-resizeimage (31).jpg (163KB - 256 downloads)
scottbit
Posted 2021-02-12 11:23 PM (#608829 - in reply to #608820)

Veteran

If you like adjusting panel gaps this is the project for you! In reality these cars are so poorly made that if you want a real nice one you are going to be doing a lot of this work anyway, Major pain in the ass. You can also see in the picture that I replaced the cowl vent panel with the one from the 59. The unibody cowl vents are about 1 inch longer and I did not think I had the skills to shorten the hood.

(Webp.net-resizeimage (31a).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Webp.net-resizeimage (31a).jpg (127KB - 257 downloads)
scottbit
Posted 2021-02-12 11:24 PM (#608830 - in reply to #608820)

Veteran

Getting close! All the field cars from around here seem to have some hail damage that is hard for me to see until I actually paint the parts, don't ask me how I know that. For some reason it was kind of fun to paint the color pink, I certainly had never done that before! I painted the car one or two pieces at a time out on my gravel driveway. Had a tarp strung out overhead from the garage to the trees and if the wind gods were benevolent things would come out as clean as any paint booth I have ever used. Timing was everything, too early and you had bugs, too late and it got too hot to paint. Starting around 9:00 to 9:30am always seemed to give good results. I would let everything dry until about noon and then move the parts to full sun and let them bake.

(Webp.net-resizeimage (32).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Webp.net-resizeimage (32).jpg (176KB - 256 downloads)
scottbit
Posted 2021-02-12 11:25 PM (#608831 - in reply to #608820)

Veteran

Let There Be Chrome! Surprisingly the front bumper bolted up in the correct position without any modifications.

(Webp.net-resizeimage (33).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Webp.net-resizeimage (33).jpg (217KB - 260 downloads)
scottbit
Posted 2021-02-12 11:26 PM (#608832 - in reply to #608820)

Veteran

I had some 15 inch wide white walls laying around that I had picked up on Craigslist so I went with them. I had converted the front brakes to disk with the Scarebird brake kit that uses GM calipers and Cordoba rotors. The 62 and up Mopars use a conventional round brake booster. My booster was missing so as the front calipers used in the Scarebird kit are late 80s Cadillac I looked up the specs on the booster and master cylinder that would have been used on a Cadillac with those calipers. A 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee had the same specs and the bolt pattern and push rod length made it look like it would be easier to install so I went with that. Sure is nice that Rock Auto has pictures of most of their parts! Picked up a booster and master cylinder at the u-pull yard for $30. Needed to drill two new holes to mount it, but the push rod length was perfect. Had to make up some brake lines with a metric bubble flare on one end and an SAE flare on the other to get it plumbed up but man did the brakes work fabulous! Perfect pedal pressure and travel. You can lock the fronts up with ease if you wish. Total cost was around $500.

(Webp.net-resizeimage (34a).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Webp.net-resizeimage (34a).jpg (239KB - 250 downloads)
scottbit
Posted 2021-02-12 11:28 PM (#608833 - in reply to #608820)

Veteran

With the 15 inch wheels I needed 15 inch hubcaps. I picked up a set of 15-inch Taiwanese repops. I thought they were nice for the money. The chromed sheet metal part is a little thin but the cast pieces were better than the originals. The knights head center cap pops off to reveal a bolt that screws into a bracket held on by the wheel lug nuts so these heavy hubcaps can not work loose and fall off. These pot metal pieces will fit on the original stainless hubcaps and as the original hubcaps are a little larger in diameter they would look a little better on the car. I will change them lf I get the time but these are good enough for now.
scottbit
Posted 2021-02-12 11:29 PM (#608834 - in reply to #608820)

Veteran

I had never put a convertible top on an American car before but it was not as hard as I thought it might be. Definitely needed the summer sun to help get the job done though. Man do these black vinyl tops get hot! No wonder most of them are white. I bought the top on eBay for $75 figuring I would probably ruin it on my first attempt and I am sure it had been sitting in the box for over 30 years. It had deep creases from storage and wrinkles at first but after a day in the hot sun they all relaxed and I was able to readjust things to get most of the wrinkles out. Only tricky part for a first timer was getting all the staples and the cut seam on the rear bow in a straight and narrow enough line that they are all hidden by the welting that goes on top to cover them up. That welting was thinner than I thought it would be when the job was done.

(Webp.net-resizeimage (36).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Webp.net-resizeimage (36).jpg (226KB - 257 downloads)
scottbit
Posted 2021-02-12 11:31 PM (#608835 - in reply to #608820)

Veteran

Here you can compare my knock off to Jan Fridbergs beautiful original. The windshield frame leans back about 1 inch compared to the earlier cars and the curvature in the lower body on the unibody cars does seem to both lengthen, lower and lighten them up, gives it more of a 60’s space age look which is something I like in a two tone, two ton parade float

(Webp.net-resizeimage (46).jpg)

(Webp.net-resizeimage (47).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Webp.net-resizeimage (46).jpg (142KB - 245 downloads)
Attachments Webp.net-resizeimage (47).jpg (158KB - 256 downloads)
scottbit
Posted 2021-02-12 11:33 PM (#608836 - in reply to #608820)

Veteran

I kept track of my time and materials and I have spent around 250 hours and $4600 on the car so far. I am elderly,senile,retired and definitely work at a puttering hobby speed, 3 or 4 hours a day off and on so it was around 4 months to get to this point. I skipped over most of the common restoration stuff like weather stripping, window fuzzies, glass channels and power window adjustment ect as that has been covered in the forum already, but it all takes time. You could create a 60 Polara or a 60-61 Newport convertible with a lot less work as I bet the trunk lid and front clip would just be a bolt on job, but that was not what I wanted. The front end was what took up the most of my metal working time, a lot of frustrating trial and error. One of those things that if you did it a second time it would go 80% faster as you would know exactly what needs to be done and where to do it. Interior is rough. I have a set of power swivel seats and nos 59 CRL seat covers for the front and rear seats but my two large dogs like riding a round in the car more than my wife does so I am not in a rush to start the interior. Probably will take me another 100 hours at least to make it nice. I have a nice 59 dash that I am sure would fit in without much modification but I kind of like the space age Jetsons look of the early 60s Mopar dashes and may just leave it as you also get that parking lever that pops the car into neutral and locks the rear wheels with a single motion, a big improvement over the earlier set up. They should have had this from the very start.

(Webp.net-resizeimage (48).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Webp.net-resizeimage (48).jpg (240KB - 252 downloads)
scottbit
Posted 2021-02-12 11:34 PM (#608837 - in reply to #608820)

Veteran

Anyway, this was a fun summer project that let me learn some new skills and I now have a one of a kind car that always makes me smile when I see it sitting in the garage, bringing back memories of the one at the drug store so long ago.

(Webp.net-resizeimage (49).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Webp.net-resizeimage (49).jpg (120KB - 254 downloads)
22mafeja
Posted 2021-02-13 1:30 AM (#608838 - in reply to #608837)

Elite Veteran

Incredible...one of a kind?
You are skilled and fast.....four months really??
w.weiland
Posted 2021-02-13 6:44 AM (#608839 - in reply to #608820)
Subject: Re: Building what you cant afford My low dollar custom 59 Dodge convertible

Expert

let me ask from what i soaked im os the foundation is the 880 ? if so nice job most people wouldnt pick up on that nice very nice
scottbit
Posted 2021-02-13 8:40 AM (#608842 - in reply to #608820)

Veteran

Yes, basically its a 1964 880 with front and rear clips from a 59 Dodge
Mike McCandless
Posted 2021-02-13 9:08 AM (#608844 - in reply to #608820)
Subject: Re: Building what you cant afford My low dollar custom 59 Dodge convertible

Expert

That is amazing, great job
60Mopars
Posted 2021-02-13 11:16 AM (#608847 - in reply to #608820)

I am very impressed, looks great! Have had plans building my own dreamcar for 40+ years, a 1960 Polara conv. But where do i find a Polara/Matador coupe body nowadays? A 63-64 Chrysler conv can probably be used as a donor, guess that is easier to find.
wizard
Posted 2021-02-13 11:23 AM (#608848 - in reply to #608820)

Board Moderator & Exner Expert 10K+

Fantastic work Scott and to a totally awsome price as well! Color me green with envy
ronbo97
Posted 2021-02-13 1:04 PM (#608851 - in reply to #608820)

Expert

Do you still have the 59 Dodge 2dr HT as well ? Can you post a photo of that one ?

Ron
imopar380
Posted 2021-02-13 1:07 PM (#608852 - in reply to #608851)

Expert 5K+

WOW, just WOW!!
scottbit
Posted 2021-02-13 1:24 PM (#608854 - in reply to #608820)

Veteran

Here is the 59 Royai I had. Sold it to Bo in Arizona in August.

(Webp.net-resizeimage (52).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Webp.net-resizeimage (52).jpg (234KB - 246 downloads)
wizard
Posted 2021-02-13 1:39 PM (#608855 - in reply to #608820)

Board Moderator & Exner Expert 10K+

Yep, I saw that Bo has ads here in Sweden for that one!
scottbit
Posted 2021-02-13 1:49 PM (#608856 - in reply to #608820)

Veteran

Bought it about five years ago from a Craigslist ad. Ran and drove and had a decent original interior Payed $1500. Dont think there are many more like that left. Posted it for sale on this forum and Bo did not waist anytime buying it!

(Webp.net-resizeimage (53).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Webp.net-resizeimage (53).jpg (193KB - 251 downloads)
57DODGECONV
Posted 2021-02-13 2:46 PM (#608860 - in reply to #608820)

Elite Veteran

Fantastic work Scott ,You moved along on that project It Looks Great.
GaryS
Posted 2021-02-13 3:18 PM (#608862 - in reply to #608820)

Expert

Four months and less than five grand, and it looks wonderful! Compared to the ten years and 20k I've dumped into my '56 Plymouth, I hang my head in shame!
scottbit
Posted 2021-02-13 3:22 PM (#608864 - in reply to #608820)

Veteran

Two words why this project moved along so quickly, NO RUST! You dont realize what percentage of your time restoring one of these cars is spent on that one problem until you do a that car that does not have any.
57DODGECONV
Posted 2021-02-13 4:07 PM (#608867 - in reply to #608820)

Elite Veteran

So True Scott as Much as We all Like these Forward Look Cars that’s the Biggest problem with them .
59finnedwarrior
Posted 2021-02-13 9:19 PM (#608882 - in reply to #608820)

Veteran

hi Scott--I sent you a PM. Thanks
mikes2nd
Posted 2021-02-14 12:50 AM (#608886 - in reply to #608820)

Expert 5K+

thats insane... I love how people say the 880 isnt Forward look... It has tons of compatible parts still... it may not be by design but its certainly a hold over.
scottbit
Posted 2021-02-14 9:28 AM (#608891 - in reply to #608820)

Veteran

Thanks for all the kind comments everyone. The payoff for me is that this a car that I can actually use. I dont mind taking a $5k car up skiing, a $100k one maybe not so much. I think I need to start looking for one of these old racks to get ready for spring skiing here in Colorado.

(Webp.net-resizeimage (36a).jpg)

(Webp.net-resizeimage (54).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Webp.net-resizeimage (36a).jpg (243KB - 242 downloads)
Attachments Webp.net-resizeimage (54).jpg (159KB - 247 downloads)
Lancer Mike
Posted 2021-02-14 10:52 AM (#608892 - in reply to #608891)

Awesome Scott!  Amazing work.  I would love to see that sometime.  What became of your collection of De Soto convertibles?

big m
Posted 2021-02-14 11:31 AM (#608894 - in reply to #608820)

Expert 5K+

You've done a phenominal job, Scott!

I never would have though an 880 could be used a base for creating a '57-'59 ragtop.

One thing I'd like to clarify, my '59 Plymouth wasn't really a conversion, as I started with a complete, but rusted out titled '59 convertible and used a coupe for the majority of the sheetmetal.

---John
scottbit
Posted 2021-02-14 12:48 PM (#608899 - in reply to #608820)

Veteran

You are right John, I was careless with my choice of words. Restoration is what I should have said. Your thread on that car was a great help to me in doing the metal work on my car and I thank you for taking the time to create such a detailed documentation of the work that needs to be done to restore these cars to a high level. Mike, I would be happy to show you the car, maybe not today though darn is it cold! I have completed all the rust repair on the DeSotos. I am so tired for that kind work that I have vowed to never do anymore of it ever again. There is rust repair and there is invisible in bare metal rust repair and believe me they are two different things! I have one of the DeSotos in bare metal on the rotisserie in the garage. I need to pick a color. I wanted to do a car with a gloss painted bottom and have been metal finishing all the little dents out of the bottom of it but believe me this is not really my thing. Do people really do this? Its a frame car so how much of the bottom can you really see any way? My wife has no interest in cars and thought I was working on a DeSoto this summer when I was building the Dodge. When she found out what I was doing she accused me of doing it just because it would be fun! Guilty as charged. Here is a picture of where I am at on the 58. Best I can do on a picture as its so cold out I dont want to open the garage door and lose what little heat I have.

(Webp.net-resizeimage (55).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Webp.net-resizeimage (55).jpg (124KB - 251 downloads)
Powerflite
Posted 2021-02-14 3:32 PM (#608905 - in reply to #608820)

Expert 5K+

You pulled that frameless conversion off really well and quick. Amazing! I find that I actually enjoy the rust repair because it's more challenging than other parts of the restoration and there's a great sense of satisfaction from turning a pile of junk into something useful & nice. I think my least favorite part is cleanup of parts, mainly because I don't have a good blast cabinet to make it easier - that and cleaning out oil pans. So dang messy! But you really need to figure out how you intend to use the car after you are done. If you are going to drive it around like normal, I don't see the point to a perfect bottomside that you can eat off of. Seems like a waste of time to me as it will be covered with dirt, grease & grime by the 2nd time you take it out. It is of course, good to paint it so it doesn't rust under there, but making it perfectly straight is a waste of time. You could have used that time to accomplish something else.
mikes2nd
Posted 2021-02-14 4:01 PM (#608907 - in reply to #608820)

Expert 5K+

I wouldn't say the 880 was a pile of junk those are hard to find also and they go for like 20k when perfect.

that was a great price though, not easy to find that. I should have grabbed a local 63 convert for 1500$ but it was gone instantly.

It is cool it is a unibody 59 dodge
scottbit
Posted 2021-02-14 8:53 PM (#608911 - in reply to #608820)

Veteran

Powerflite we would be a good team,I like cleaning parts! I have restored a lot of cars over the years in the hobby, but I have never tried to make a high point show car before mainly because it would not be anything I would want. I am going to give it a shot on this one just to see what happens. I would have agreed that rust repair is the most challenging part of restoration until I started trying to do interior upholstery. The fun part of that is with a lot of materials you only get one shot at getting it right or the needle hole marks ruin the vinyl or leather and you have to start all over again. Having tried my hand a couple of interiors, now when I see a perfectly done custom leather interior in a car I think that maybe a higher form of art! Mlke you have a 60 Imperial dont you? I had one too. It was my introduction to forward look fin cars and the first car interior I tried to do. Here are some pix of mine. I have learned a lot from both of you guys postings. Just want you both to know that I read them and appreciate the effort you put in to it.

(Webp.net-resizeimage (57).jpg)

(Webp.net-resizeimage (59).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Webp.net-resizeimage (57).jpg (242KB - 246 downloads)
Attachments Webp.net-resizeimage (59).jpg (168KB - 253 downloads)
Powerflite
Posted 2021-02-14 9:47 PM (#608918 - in reply to #608820)

Expert 5K+

Your '60 Imperial is gorgeous. The '60 is one of my favorite Imperials.
scottbit
Posted 2021-02-14 10:36 PM (#608920 - in reply to #608820)

Veteran

First car I had ever painted black. I learned a few lessons on that one. Unfortunately with each subsequent paint job it appears I have forgotten what ever those lessons were!

(Webp.net-resizeimage (60).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Webp.net-resizeimage (60).jpg (193KB - 258 downloads)
22mafeja
Posted 2021-02-15 1:12 AM (#608922 - in reply to #608920)

Elite Veteran

That`s a beautiful Imperial Scott! If you did that interior you should really be proud.
I have rotisserie restored more than ten cars but I have never bothered to straighten the minor dings of a 50+ years old underbody. Can`t just see the point with it..
When I know I have blasted and painted 2-k paint it is enough for me.
I know the feeling when you are beginning to make the same old mistakes...
1960fury
Posted 2021-02-15 10:18 AM (#608937 - in reply to #608820)

Expert 5K+

Although I know the differences, it took a time for me to realize that this is a frame to unibody conversion! I'm baffled. Live an learn. Not a big fan of convertibles, but from what I understand you didn't kill a hardtop to build it, so thumbs up and my utter respect!
scottbit
Posted 2021-02-15 12:39 PM (#608946 - in reply to #608820)

Veteran

Yes, for me 1960 is by far the best Imperial. Always loved the big smiley face grin on them. The size and weight of them is extreme to the max! I can still remember trying to put the doors back on by myself after I had painted them. And painting the roof I had to make an extension handle for my paint gun to be able reach the center of it and I am six feet tall.

(Webp.net-resizeimage (61).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Webp.net-resizeimage (61).jpg (235KB - 261 downloads)
imopar380
Posted 2021-02-16 4:38 PM (#609003 - in reply to #608820)

Expert 5K+

So my question is - is the car titled and if so, is it titled as a 64 Dodge or a 59 Dodge? I would assume as a 64 Dodge.....
scottbit
Posted 2021-02-17 1:17 PM (#609024 - in reply to #608820)

Veteran

Yes, it is titled as a 1964 Dodge.
57burb
Posted 2021-02-18 9:57 AM (#609038 - in reply to #608820)

Expert

Amazing! You pulled it off perfectly. That has got to be one of the most interesting builds I've ever seen, here or anywhere else for that matter. It's a '64 Dodge in drag!

It kind of reminds me of the guy that built a '58 Plymouth conv out of a '60. Except he only did half the job! http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=45565

Hats off to you, that is really incredible.
56D500boy
Posted 2021-02-18 11:13 AM (#609039 - in reply to #609038)

Expert 5K+

57burb - 2021-02-18 6:57 AM
It kind of reminds me of the guy that built a '58 Plymouth conv out of a '60. Except he only did half the job!

Need to start at the beginning of that one:

http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=45565&...

mogge65
Posted 2021-03-10 4:35 AM (#609707 - in reply to #608820)

Expert

Pure talent , i`m soo impressed. Taking it down to the normal guy level in a stroke of genious. Hatts of Scott, you are brilliant.
Apollo 61
Posted 2021-03-10 11:36 AM (#609713 - in reply to #608820)

Elite Veteran

Wow! Impressive skills indeed. Now you have me looking at some of my parts cars in my backyard as to what I can rearrange into something else?
hindsight inc
Posted 2021-03-26 7:54 PM (#610400 - in reply to #608820)

Regular

You've sold yourself short my friend. Incredible to conceive of this to begin with - much less follow it through to fruition - and executed at a very high level. Leave that M3 at home next time you stop by!!! Wake
scottbit
Posted 2021-11-07 12:32 PM (#616618 - in reply to #608820)

Veteran

Got back to work on my 59 clone this summer. I wear hard contact lenses and the car was too dusty for me to comfortably drive as there was a constant cloud of crumbling burlap and dried foam dust blowing out from under the seats from the ancient original upholstery. I bought a used industrial sewing machine for $600 and ordered two yards of fabric from SMS. I had the fabric in hand four days after I ordered it! Started with the door panels trying to use as few sewn seams as possible as the originals are all heat seamed. My set of pictures is incomplete but hopefully you can get the idea. Making your own door panels is a good way to get a start at learning upholstery as they are not that difficult. I start with a paper pattern of the door card you wish to make and transfer that to 1/8 inch masonite. For the three mylar trims at the bottom for the doors I made some sheet metal in the shape I wanted and welded studs to the back with my stud gun. Covered them with chrome vinyl wrap and bent the studs over from the back side to hold them in place. Used the same method on the large fabric covered piece in the center of the door panel as well. For the transition from white to black under the chrome trim I masked off the white vinyl and sprayed the center part black with SEM vinyl coat. Chrome trim is 1/2 inch peel and stick vinyl body side trim from the auto parts store. I have used this on vinyl before and its bond to the vinyl actually seems to get better with age . After some time I dont think you could remove the trim with out destroying the door panel. I was well pleased with the way they turned out. Certainly faster than waiting for SMS to get the job done!

(a.jpg)

(b.jpg)

(c.jpg)

(d.jpg)

(e.jpg)

(f.jpg)

(g.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments a.jpg (155KB - 156 downloads)
Attachments b.jpg (180KB - 155 downloads)
Attachments c.jpg (174KB - 150 downloads)
Attachments d.jpg (147KB - 149 downloads)
Attachments e.jpg (91KB - 158 downloads)
Attachments f.jpg (78KB - 146 downloads)
Attachments g.jpg (139KB - 153 downloads)
scottbit
Posted 2021-11-07 1:04 PM (#616622 - in reply to #608820)

Veteran

I have a set of NOS seat covers for the swivel seats but unfortunately the were blue, but at least I could use them as a pattern. Foam was non existent so I went to the junk yard and got some seat cushions to cut up for the foam as the foam at the fabric store seemed to soft. This was the third car interior I have attempted to do and much like welding more than half of the art is in having the sewing machine set up correctly. I had never used a full on industrial sewing machine before so it took me quite a while to get hang of getting the needle size, stitch length, thread tension, bobbin tension ect all set up correctly. U tube videos were a great help. It took a while but I got it done.

(Webp.net-resizeimage - 2021-11-07T105906.506.jpg)

(Webp.net-resizeimage - 2021-11-07T110012.962 (1).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Webp.net-resizeimage - 2021-11-07T105906.506.jpg (129KB - 146 downloads)
Attachments Webp.net-resizeimage - 2021-11-07T110012.962 (1).jpg (102KB - 142 downloads)
56D500boy
Posted 2021-11-07 2:14 PM (#616624 - in reply to #616622)

Expert 5K+

Congrats Scott. Everything looks great. Very professional looking (to me at least)

What brand sewing machine did you buy? Juki?

Again, congrats! Job well done.

scottbit
Posted 2021-11-07 3:40 PM (#616626 - in reply to #608820)

Veteran

Yes, a Juki 563 seems to be a very common workhorse machine. Lots of how to videos on U tube thankfully, I sure needed them! Came with an electronic speed controller but that was still to fast for me with my level of skill. I added a jackshaft gearing reducer and now it sews at a snails pace which makes a huge difference when you are just learning how to sew.

(h.jpg)

(i.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments h.jpg (86KB - 154 downloads)
Attachments i.jpg (96KB - 155 downloads)
BUCKET
Posted 2021-11-07 11:24 PM (#616634 - in reply to #608820)

New User

Brilliant.
57burb
Posted 2021-11-08 8:48 AM (#616636 - in reply to #616634)

Expert

You've done an amazing job on the interior, too!
59Firedome
Posted 2021-11-08 10:52 AM (#616640 - in reply to #608820)

Incredible from start to finish! Always help to think outside the box when working on these projects, and on a budget
GaryS
Posted 2021-11-08 12:58 PM (#616644 - in reply to #608820)

Expert

Very nice!
60 dart
Posted 2021-11-08 5:08 PM (#616654 - in reply to #608820)

Expert 5K+

there are a ton of variables that need to be overcome for the beginner upholsterer . people think ya just put thread on a machine
and its done . i got one more seat back to do on my swivel seats in red and white leather with a sailrite machine its got a smaller
operating throat but anything that will fit under the foot , it'll sew , even 5/16" leather ---------------------------------------later
Windsor59
Posted 2021-11-29 4:21 AM (#617245 - in reply to #608820)

Expert

I have to say, you've done an impressive job. Fulfilled your dream car. But little money and a lot of energy.
scottbit
Posted 2022-07-15 4:38 PM (#622892 - in reply to #608820)

Veteran

Put in a little more work on my 59 vert. The 1964 dash was maroon from the factory and because of its shape I would need to either remove the windshield or take the dash out to paint it. Heater control valve was leaking and I was having problems with the gauges. Voltage regulator in the fuel gauge went out and I never could get reliable readings from the electric oil pressure gauge despite changing the sending unit multiple times. I hate working under dashboards and these early 60's Dodge dashes are frustratingly hard to work on,lots of small hard to reach screws so I decided to replace the 64 dash with one I had kept from the 59 Dodge parts car. 1964 wiring harness was more modern with molded plastic push on connectors rather than studs and nuts. As I wanted to do as little work as possible I just removed the switches from the 64 dash leaving them attached to the wiring harness and moved them in to the 59 instrument panel after I had it installed. Had to drill 5 or 6 new mounting holes but it was all pretty straight forward. Wanted to use the 59 steering wheel and as the splines were a different size on the steering wheel shaft I cut out the center of the 64 wheel and welded it to the 59 wheel. Removed the transmission park selector from the push button shift unit and relocated it on the left side on the dash to mirror the sliding heat control lever on the right side. Still a few loose wires for the radio and interior lights but the interior now looks 100% correct and I guess that's the point of a clone after all...
scottbit
Posted 2022-07-15 4:41 PM (#622893 - in reply to #608820)

Veteran

trying again on pix

(IMG_2346.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_2346.jpg (138KB - 88 downloads)
Lancer Mike
Posted 2022-07-15 9:57 PM (#622898 - in reply to #622893)

Amazing Scott!  Amazing!

This is a great illustration of why we should not limit the website to 1955 - 1961.  That cowl is the definitive element of ForwardLookers.

scottbit
Posted 2022-10-17 6:28 PM (#624932 - in reply to #608820)

Veteran

What makes it all worthwhile, Fall colors Denver Colorado

(IMG_2361 (1).jpg)

(IMG_2365.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_2361 (1).jpg (231KB - 72 downloads)
Attachments IMG_2365.jpg (233KB - 66 downloads)
scottbit
Posted 2022-10-17 6:34 PM (#624933 - in reply to #608820)

Veteran

oops

(IMG_2365 (1).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_2365 (1).jpg (238KB - 64 downloads)
57burb
Posted 2022-10-19 10:55 AM (#624977 - in reply to #608820)

Expert

Incredible!! I love this car and its story. Great job.
Lancer Mike
Posted 2022-10-19 11:02 PM (#624984 - in reply to #624932)

scottbit - 2022-10-17 4:28 PM What makes it all worthwhile, Fall colors Denver Colorado

Fo shizzle!

(07.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 07.jpg (234KB - 60 downloads)